Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in PCV Catch Can Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in PCV Catch Can Question

Hey guys, I have a road race car using an LS1, MS4 cam, cheap ported heads, naturally aspirated. I have a catch can in my PCV lines and I checked it for the first time and it had about 1/8 to 1/4 a quart of oil in it. I have done several track days, auto crosses, and drag strip test runs and driven a few hundred miles on the street. It wasn't a crazy amount of oil but it did pour out of the can. The motor runs very well as it is a fresh build, compression checked out great, etc. I just wanted to know if this amount of oil in the catch can shoudl be expected. If not what would you suspect the problem to be. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's not bad....the higher you rev the more oil you can usually expect. One of my friends that drag races his can get a pint or more in his catch can in one day of racing....that's what the can is there for....that way your not sucking all the oil back in and burning it
Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

It's normal, especially during high rpm decellerations to puke a good amount of oil into the can. It just means the can is doing it's job. All of that would have been in your intake. Cool.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Cool, I kind of figured but I just wasn't sure of the amount. Good thing we use catch cans as that would suck to have all that oil going through the motor combustion process. Thanks.