Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 block with LS6 heads question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 block with LS6 heads question

I've been trying to research this, and i cant get it straight.

I have an LS1 in my car, and just bought a set of 243 heads and a Z06 cam, both out of an 03 Z06, the guy also threw in the stock pushrods.

Ok, so the cam is irrelevant, because I'm certain I will be going with a different one.

I know the base circle of the Z06 cam is different, so the compensate, they made the valves longer, but left the pushrods the same length, 7.4.

2 questions, are these pushrods worth using, or should i pick up some aftermarket ones? I dont know if these are hardened or whatever.

2nd, this longer valve stem thing is throwing me off, and i don't know anything about base circle sizes, so I cant figure out what length pushrods I need...or is that going to be one i need to figure out after i pick a cam?

They kind of inter relate though, if these are good pushrods, then I may use them, and pick my cam based on what size works for that, if not, I'll pick whatever cam I want, and buy the pushrods accordingly

also, the heads came without rockers, I dont know a damn thing about them, 1.7, 1.8, I'm lost on how that relates to pushrod and valve length.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"2 questions, are these pushrods worth using, or should i pick up some aftermarket ones? I dont know if these are hardened or whatever.

also, the heads came without rockers, I dont know a damn thing about them, 1.7, 1.8, I'm lost on how that relates to pushrod and valve length.[/QUOTE]

If you are changing cams to an aftermarket cam I would get new pushrods after you measure the correct length that you need. measuring would eliminate the other problem with the different length valves.

Stock LS1/6 rockers are 1.7. IMHO I would stick with 1.7.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Dude you are way over-thinking this. Sell what you don't want, buy what you do want, assemble the heads, springs, cam, lifters, then measure for pushrods last and order the exact right size for your engine once all the changes have been made.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Dude you are way over-thinking this. Sell what you don't want, buy what you do want, assemble the heads, springs, cam, lifters, then measure for pushrods last and order the exact right size for your engine once all the changes have been made.
+1. The heads themselves are identical externally, so your rockers will transfer over. Like was stated, they are 1.7s.

Its always a good idea to measure pushrod length. Its very easy, and the checker is cheap. So like 01ss said, just measure and order them last.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read the valve stems are 6mm longer on a z06 243 head.call TSP and tell them what heads you got and they can sell you a cam pkg with the correct length harden push rod and good springs.what head gasket will you be using,what thickness?you can get a push rod checker for under $20.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Teching In

ok cool, yeah i know i tend to over think a little bit.

its just that this car is my DD, so the swap has to done in a single day, maybe 2, no time for trial and error.

Ive already sent TSP a message through email, and through here, no response yet, but it is the weekend.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Teching In

LS6 Heads
V3 cam
Springs of some sort
hardened pushrods
LS2 lifter trays
LS7 lifters
Some sort of rockers.
LS6 ported oil pump
new timing chain.

anything else?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

BOLTS and gaskets TSP has a kit..
Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Teching In

oh yeah...i always forget about bolts....

ill prob be ordering all of this from texas speed
Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have the money, why not have a shop do a stage one port and polish on the heads. Should help free up a little power.

I believe the ls6 valves are longer b/c they are sodium filled (lighter). I'm guessing the length was needed for strength on the hollow valve stem.

Last edited by redz_02; 06-24-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redz_02
if you have the money, why not have a shop do a stage one port and polish on the heads. Should help free up a little power.

I believe the ls6 valves are longer b/c they are sodium filled (lighter). I'm guessing the length was needed for strength on the hollow valve stem.
no, it was to account for the smaller base circle of the Z06 cam, it was either longer valves, or longer pushrods, they opted for longer valves.