Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apology to Mikey at Rapid & ARE & new dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apology to Mikey at Rapid & ARE & new dyno numbers

Back before Christmas I posted about problems I was having with my ARE 346 and JPR S2 heads and cam package in my 99 SS- my main concerns were low power production & poor track performance, but there were some oil consumption issues, too. The thread was titled "Problems with ARE 346" then changed to "Problems with lifters in 346."

I finally got my car back on Friday from Carolina Auto Masters in Durham, NC, after almost 2 1/2 months. Here is everything they did:

1.) Replaced lifters with Crane OEM replacement lifters. The old lifters were bad, but this was not ARE's fault- lifters are not included with their 346, my old stockers were reused.
2.) Installed Crane dual valvesprings and Yella Terra roller rockers.
3.) JPR S2 heads were removed, repaired, and reworked. 1 spring seat was missing, and all 8 of the intake valve guides were loose- allowing oil into the combustion chamber, causing knock, and reducing power. The loose guides also ruined the valve job. The guides were repaired, the valve seals were replaced, a valve job was performed, .005" was milled off the heads, and the heads were touched up by a local porter.
4.) Installed a Meziere EWP.
5.) Exhaust system was reworked- Carsound cats were removed, and a bullet muffler was installed to keep rasp down. Exhaust system consists of: Grotyohann 1 3/4" LT headers, 3" ORY, and a Magnaflow catback.
6.) Dynoed and retuned with LS1 Edit.

Previous dyno numbers: 390 RWHP, 376 RWTQ (open cutout).

New dyno numbers: 407 RWHP, 398 RWTQ (open cutout). Gained 17 RWHP and 22 RWTQ. Not too shabby, but Jeff and I were hoping for more. The car had previously dynoed 422 RWHP at JD's with an ailing shortblock, poor tune, stock rockers, and no EWP. The peak gains only tell part of the story, though- it picked up power everywhere under the curve, particularly between 2K-5K RPM. Gained as much as 30 HP at some points. The car feels like a whole different animal. I am satisfied with it, and very pleased with the work done by Jeff Creech at CAM.

Conclusions:

1.) There was nothing wrong with the ARE shortblock or Mikey's tuning. Jeff did a slightly better job with idle and driveability, but Mikey's tuning did extract maximum HP out of the combination. The ARE shortblock is solid, there is no smoking now that the heads have been repaired.

2.) I am disappointed in the performance of the JPR S2 heads. The missing valve seat, the loose valve guides, and the lower than expected dyno numbers. The local porter feels the heads were overported by JPR, and are the reason the car is not making better power. Unfortunately, we did not have a chance to have the heads independently flowed, so I cannot prove the assertion that the heads are not performing up to par.

3.) The Meziere EWP is basically worthless. Save your money! Jeff baselined with the stock water pump, installed the Meziere, and redynoed with the same tune- gained a whopping 1 RWHP.

4.) The Magnaflow catback flows damn well! Opening the QTEC only picked up 1 RWHP and 5 RWTQ.

My next move will be to install the 90mm LSX intake manifold and 90mm TB. Just waiting for the TB to come out. Maybe I will see 420-430 RWHP then? What do you guys think? Then I will probably consider changing the heads, but I want to wait and see what the AFR's do first. I'm kinda out of cash at this point, anyway!
Old 02-29-2004, 10:31 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADSS
1 spring seat was missing, and all 8 of the intake valve guides were loose-
There is no excuse for the missing seat.

I'm glad its all working correctly now. Sorry you had to go through that though.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BigTex

I'm glad its all working correctly now. Sorry you had to go through that though.

In full agreement with the above statements, glad to hear your happier with the outcome now, just enjoy the
Old 02-29-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good to hear and I hope you enjoy the new combo

Old 02-29-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigTex

Tell me about it
Old 02-29-2004, 02:59 PM

at least you are man enough to publicly apologise to Mikey
i knew his work was NOT the problem

good luck with the car
Old 02-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

3.) JPR S2 heads were removed, repaired, and reworked. 1 spring seat was missing, and all 8 of the intake valve guides were loose- allowing oil into the combustion chamber, causing knock, and reducing power. The loose guides also ruined the valve job. The guides were repaired, the valve seals were replaced, a valve job was performed, .005" was milled off the heads, and the heads were touched up by a local porter.
that the heads have been repaired.

2.) I am disappointed in the performance of the JPR S2 heads. The missing valve seat, the loose valve guides, and the lower than expected dyno numbers. The local porter feels the heads were overported by JPR, and are the reason the car is not making better power. Unfortunately, we did not have a chance to have the heads independently flowed, so I cannot prove the assertion that the heads are not performing up to par.

Judging by Mike K.'s problems. I can see your disappointment with JPR heads. This is just plain insane. Who did the initial tune at JD's shop. Sounds like a lot of timing again....
Old 02-29-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

We all know how i feel about my JPR heads ,

Grats on getting your setup back and running the way it shoud be.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Glad to hear the car is up and running again after the long ordeal.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like a reoccuring theme now...
Old 02-29-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how can you say there was no gain (1 rwhp) with the EWP when time and time again people are gaining 10+ rwhp with that unit?
Old 02-29-2004, 04:24 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Jeff baselined with the stock water pump, installed the Meziere, and redynoed with the same tune- gained a whopping 1 RWHP.
Seemed pretty self explainatory to me. Of course, these are just HIS experiences with the product. YMMV, ya know?
Old 02-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Thanks for posting the information and clearing things up. Most people on this board post things they assume to be the problem when there is an issues with something, it is reasuring to hear there are some honest people that can public. admit mistake and clear someones name

Thanks for your honesty, I commend you for that. I think everyone knows how damaging bad information on this board can hurt bus; how do you think it makes you feel when it isn't true

The main thing is that your package is working properly and sounds like you are enjoying your car again, isn't that whats important

Good luck with the car, and Mike (Rapid) does do great work
Old 03-01-2004, 12:07 AM
Restricted User

BADSS, glad to hear its coming back together. Sorry to hear about the lackluster gain from the EWP. I almost look forward to getting one for my future build up, but...
Also, I am not sure I would go with the 90mm set up as your stock cubes, unless you plan on going bigger soon or spinning that puppy to the moon. From what I have read, its not needed for most the stock CI out there.
Good luck.

Charlie.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:29 AM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

Original e-mail conversation/install from 6-02 Colin writes:

"I have a 99 Camaro SS M6 with a TR 220/220 .561"/.561" 114 LSA cam, Grotyohann LT headers, Ed Wright programming, 4.10 gears, and all of the bolt-ons. Would you recommend stage 1 or stage 2 heads for my car? I see you get very good results out of your stage 1 heads, but I haven't seen much about your stage 2s. My goals are 400 RWHP and 11s in the quarter. This is on a full weight SS- all the options, and no weight reduction. The car dynoed a disappointing 345 HP, 335 TQ after the cam and headers were installed and ran 13.56 @ 108.06 at Bristol (a notoriously slow track) at 3500 DA. Best 60' was a 2.3 on Nittos, so obviously the car has a lot more in it. This was my first time (ever) drag racing, so hopefully I will get better with practice.

I think I have some KR issues that may be costing me some power- I am getting quite a bit of KR- the valvetrain is quite noisy and the (junk) Grotyohann y-pipe is banging under the car.

Do you think a larger exhaust (Mufflex 3.5" or 4") helps any on a stock displacement heads and cam car? I currently have a 3" catback (B&B Triflow).

How much would your electric water pump help me? What is the current status of that? Any pricing, dyno sheets, or other information available? I currently have a 160 degree thermostat with the fans set to turn on sooner than stock, but I also have a FTRA kit, which does tend to make the engine run hotter- it blocks a fair amount of airflow to the radiator.

I also see that you get very good results dyno tuning your combinations with LS1 edit. I would be very interested in a full package of cylinder heads, electric water pump, and an LS1 edit dyno tune. Can you tune over the Ed Wright programming, or is that going to be a problem?

I am eager to hear your recommendations, Joe. Do you think you can get me to 400 RWHP? My car kinda seems like an underachiever right now- it needs help.

Thanks for your time. Look forward to hearing back from you.

Colin Hofheimer" 6-02

Hi Colin,
Sorry for the dely, I had a real problem on Thurs with the GM revised head gaskets to the point that I had to remove the heads off a new install and purchace the Graphite gaskets and use them in place of the steel ones, very frustrating, anyway, hope all is well with you and yours and to give you an update, your heads are being milled this week, the 2.02/1.55 valves, retainers, springs, Graphite gaskets, TR 224 cam, shorter PR's and new head bolts are here. I will see if Andy is ready YET for me to pick up a pump body for your install. If in the off chance that your pump will not be ready at the time of your install which I am fearing, your initial deposit will be directly applied to your S2 program. I am trying my best over here to have everything ready, but I am losing a little hope with my machine shop at this point because now they are going to be on Vacation soon. I will have everything ready for the H/C install for sure though.
Joe.
----- Original Message -----
To: Joe Prince
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 5:32 AM
Subject: THIS WEEKEND (AUGUST 10-11)

Joe-

Do you think all my parts will be ready by this weekend (August 10-11)? My wife and kids will be out of town all this week, so I was really hoping to be able to come up this weekend. Let me know how things look.

Thanks,

Colin Hofheimer

> Hey Joe-
>
> I thought this might interest you- this is the other guy I told you
> about who had Mikey tune his car. Read the results below from a different
> dyno- it turns out Mikey doesn't do a very good job with LS1 Edit tuning,
as
> I had suspected!!
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "matt vello" <mvello@vt.edu>
> To: "Colin Hofheimer" <colinh@netscope.net>
> Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2003 8:30 PM
> Subject: Re: Rapid Motorsports tuning
>
>
> > Colin,
> >
> > My dad took my car to a dyno today. Here are the results:
> >
> > The car was so rich that it was choking at 5300 rpm. A/F was good down
> low,
> > but up top it was rich that alot of it wasn't burning. I will be
calling
> > Mike this week and asking for a $500 refund with the proof of these dyno
> > results when my dad mails them to me. I think you should do the same if
> it
> > turns out that Mike didn't do a good job on yours. If he refuses to
> refund
> > me any money or we can't agree on a number then I'll take legal action
for
> > the $1000 I spent at Mike's place and the amount to fix his mistakes.
> >
> > I'm pretty pissed that it turns out he didn't tune my car properly for
the
> > bigger injectors among other things.
> >
> > Hopefully your results will be better than mine,
> > Matt
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Colin Hofheimer" <colinh@netscope.net>
> > To: "matt vello" <mvello@vt.edu>
> > Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 4:47 PM
> > Subject: Re: Rapid Motorsports tuning
> >
> >

The above is not a bash reply against
Mike, but this is what I was sent to me to further Colins argument about his "tune".

Below is a statement to me about how his car was running after the motor install and tune..

Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 10:44 AM
Subject: UPDATE...

Joe,

After our conversation yesterday, I reset the PCM, changed the oil and filter, and sprayed some WD40 on the tensioner. The car is running fine (except for missing 30-40 HP), and no more squeaking!! So I guess I didn't spin a bearing after all. There is a rattling sound coming from under the car, but I think I have a bad catalytic converter. The brick has probably broken up and is rattling around in the shell- this has happened to me before- the cat hits the road or scrapes occasionally and gets damaged.

Did you see where Vince broke a Comp 918 spring after only 10,000 miles? Are you sure they are the best bet?? I checked on Thunder Racing's website, and it looks like the Crane duals can be had for about $377 with all the necessary parts. It is the new Comp duals (921's) that are $550. Both are expensive, but I am having some worries about the 918's with a cam that aggressive. Please give me your recommendation- I would rather spend a little more now and avoid big problems and expense down the road.

Talk to you soon,

Colin Hofheimer

Hey Joe,

I have a friend in Morristown, Tennessee (Adam Patton) who has a set of LS1 heads he is looking to get ported. He is looking for a stage 1 port job- what is your price on stage 1 heads these days? I recommended JPR to him because I am very satisfied with my JPR stage 2 heads. I am finally getting to go to the track next Tuesday (May 6) to see what this bad boy will run! The heads will be going on a 2000 Trans Am M6 with Hooker LT headers, ORY, and probably the 224/224 TR cam on a 112 LSA.

BTW, are you able to send me the rest of my deposit now? I would really appreciate it if you could.

Thanks,

Colin Hofheimer

More BS....

"Well Colin,
Joe and I mocked up the EWP on an engine together and we agreed it would work so I don't know why he would say it wouldn't. When did he tell you this?

I was very disappointed with you changing your post topic from "I have problems with my ARE short block" to "I have problems with JPR's heads" That wasn't fair at all and furthermore, you told me on the phone that Mikey flowed the heads locally [EDIT( I could haave been mistaken here)EDIT] and they were up to snuff for power development, not once did you mention that I supposedly forgot a spring seat after you just got done bashing the hell out of Mikey's tune and low power developement/workmanship to your new set-up and if so, I want to see a picture of the head pocket that was missing the seat because if it was, it would tear the pocket to **** with spring to aluminum contact and would need to be trashed/welded to repair it. Not once did I EVER bash ARE or Mikey for what was done to your car even while I felt you were luring me into that bash session on the phone.

The last I heard you were on your way up to..

1. pull a head and confirm the piston to deck height.

2. install the pump.

3. dyno tune and re-flow the heads in front of you.

I don't go on the forums anymore nor am I a sponsor there either. You will get a refund once 11Bravo's motor is complete and good luck in the future. If you would like, you can call me at my cell number (856) 498-

Joe Prince.
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 11:19 AM
Subject: $1500

Joe,

When are you going to send me back the rest of my money ($1500)? Joe D. does not think he can make the JPR EWP functional, and advised me to seek a refund from you. I also would like you to return the Katech tensioner you had me purchase to use with the JPR EWP. I am very disappointed to not be getting the JPR EWP, after waiting almost 2 years for it, but since that is the case, I WANT MY MONEY BACK ASAP. I think I have been patient long enough, and am tired of being jerked around. Please don't make me post this on the boards and give you negative PR....I don't have any desire to damage your reputation, I just want my money back.

Please send the $1500 and the Katech tensioner to:

Colin Hofheimer
3108 Gillburg Road
Henderson, NC 27537

Thanks,

Colin Hofheimer

Sorry Mike, but I had to post this in cause I'm an ******* sometimes but I'm not wrong here. Bottom line, 422 RWH through 4.10 gears and cats with a pre-existing blow by oil consumption problem.

I have nothing left to loose and I'm not available for comment till Wed night..

Joe

Last edited by JPR; 03-01-2004 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:38 AM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

Another thing, what the hell is this? it was sent as an attatchment to me from Colin H.

NETDI: ClassInstall (0x6 on 0x3616:0x58) on Dial-Up Adapter at Enum\Root\Net\0000
NETDI: SetupFlags=513(SUF_INSETUP)(SUF_FIRSTTIME) BootCount=2 NetSetupFlags=1 (RETAIL)
NETDI: Examining class Net
NETDI: Found Enum\Root\Net\0000 in registry
NETDI: SelectMyBestCompatDrv: Found a compatible driver: Dial-Up Adapter
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WININST0.400\netppp.inf,PPPMAC.ndi
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WININST0.400\netppp.inf,PPPMAC.ndi
NETDI: NdiCreate(Dial-Up Adapter) OK
NETDI: Examining class NetTrans
NETDI: Found Enum\Network\MSTCP\0000 in registry
NETDI: SelectMyBestCompatDrv: Found a compatible driver: TCP/IP
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WININST0.400\nettrans.inf,MSTCP.ndi
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WININST0.400\nettrans.inf,MSTCP.ndi
NETDI: NdiCreate(TCP/IP) OK
NETDI: Examining class NetClient
NETDI: Found Enum\Network\VREDIR\0000 in registry
NETDI: SelectMyBestCompatDrv: Found a compatible driver: Client for Microsoft Networks
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WININST0.400\netcli.inf,VREDIR.ndi
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WININST0.400\netcli.inf,VREDIR.ndi
NETDI: NdiCreate(Client for Microsoft Networks) OK
NETDI: dif_FirstTimeSetup
NETDI: Setting FirstBootUpgrade=0
NETDI: ChangeLine: No matches found.
NETDI: File Information for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wsock32.dll
NETDI: File Length=40960, CRC=b5eded7e
NETDI: Copyright=Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1993-1998
NETDI: Product=Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
NETDI: Version=0004000a.000007ce
NETDI: File Information for C:\WINDOWS\WINSOCK.DLL
NETDI: File Length=21504, CRC=b670e3a6
NETDI: Copyright=Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1993-1997
NETDI: Product=Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
NETDI: Version=0004000a.000007ce
NETDI: File Information for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINSOCK.DLL
NETDI: File not found
NETDI: Vxd\Winsock\IrSockets=wsirda.vxd
NETDI: File Information for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wsirda.vxd
NETDI: File not found
NETDI: BackupWSock: WSockBackedUp already exists, exiting
NETDI: DetectWSock=0
NETDI: Microsoft WSOCK32.DLL found
NETDI: SafeForWS2=TRUE, Microsoft WINSOCK.DLL found
NETDI: WSockSearchDir: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WSOCK32.DLL matches.
NETDI: FileLen=40960, CRC=b5eded7e
NETDI: QueueNdiFileCopy: C:\WININST0.400\wsock32.dll->(LDID 11)WSOCK32.DLL
NETDI: WSockSearchDir: C:\WINDOWS\WINSOCK.DLL matches.
NETDI: FileLen=21504, CRC=b670e3a6
NETDI: QueueNdiFileCopy: C:\WININST0.400\winsock.dll->(LDID 25)WINSOCK.DLL
NETDI: Installing WS2 in the standard locations
NETDI: QueueNdiFileCopy: C:\WININST0.400\wsock32.dll->(LDID 11)wsock32.dll
NETDI: QueueNdiFileCopy: C:\WININST0.400\winsock.dll->(LDID 25)winsock.dll
NETDI: SetDefaultTransport: Couldn't determine transport
NETDI: ClassInstall(0x6) end
NETDI: NETDI: lpRegLogConf = 0x0
NETDI: ClassInstall (0x9 on 0x3616:0x58) on Dial-Up Adapter at Enum\Root\Net\0000
NETDI: SetupFlags=513(SUF_INSETUP)(SUF_FIRSTTIME) BootCount=2 NetSetupFlags=0 (RETAIL)
NETDI: Validating Client for Microsoft Networks at Enum\Network\VREDIR\0000, rc = 0x0
NETDI: Validating TCP/IP at Enum\Network\MSTCP\0000, rc = 0x0
NETDI: Validating Dial-Up Adapter at Enum\Root\Net\0000, rc = 0x0
NETDI: ClassInstall(0x9) end
NETDI: ClassInstall (0xa on 0x3616:0x58) on Dial-Up Adapter at Enum\Root\Net\0000
NETDI: SetupFlags=513(SUF_INSETUP)(SUF_FIRSTTIME) BootCount= NetSetupFlags=0 (RETAIL)
NETDI: ProcessNdiFileQueue: C:\WININST0.400\wsock32.dll -> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WSOCK32.DLL copied file
NETDI: ProcessNdiFileQueue: C:\WININST0.400\winsock.dll -> C:\WINDOWS\WINSOCK.DLL copied file
NETDI: ProcessNdiFileQueue: C:\WININST0.400\wsock32.dll -> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wsock32.dll copied file
NETDI: ProcessNdiFileQueue: C:\WININST0.400\winsock.dll -> C:\WINDOWS\winsock.dll copied file
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WININST0.400\netcli.inf,VREDIR.Install
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WININST0.400\netcli.inf,VREDIR.Install.WSock2
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WININST0.400\nettrans.inf,MSTCP.Install
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WININST0.400\nettrans.inf,MSTCP.Install.WSock2
NETDI: QueueExecuteAPISection Queue=Item1
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WININST0.400\netppp.inf,PPPMAC.Install
NETDI: GenInstallDriver, C:\WININST0.400\netppp.inf,PPPMAC.Install.WSock2
NETDI: ConfigureSetVer called
NETDI: ClassInstall(0xa) end
NETDI: ClassInstall (0xc on 0x3616:0x58) on Dial-Up Adapter at Enum\Root\Net\0000
NETDI: SetupFlags=513(SUF_INSETUP)(SUF_FIRSTTIME) BootCount= NetSetupFlags=0 (RETAIL)
NETDI: ClassInstall(0xc) end

****** BEGIN NEW RECORDING *****

NETDI: ##################################################
NETDI: EnumComplete Start
NETDI: SetupFlags=503(SUF_FIRSTTIME) BootCount=1 NetSetupFlags=0 (RETAIL)
NETDI: ExecuteQueuedAPIs
NETDI: NdiWSCDeinstallProvider(FF017DE1) Result=0, Errno=0
NETDI: NdiWSCInstallProvider(FF017DE1, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mswsosp.dll) Result=0, Errno=0
NETDI: NdiWSCDeinstallProvider(FF017DE0) Result=0, Errno=0
NETDI: NdiWSCInstallProvider(FF017DE0, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msafd.dll) Result=0, Errno=0
NETDI: NdiWSCUnInstallNameSpace(FF017DE2) Result=0
NETDI: NdiWSCInstallNameSpace(FF017DE2,C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ rnr20.dll) Result=0
NETDI: NdiWSCDeinstallProvider(E70F1AA0) Result=-1, Errno=10014
NETDI: NdiWSCDeinstallProvider(ECBDCBA0) Result=0, Errno=0
NETDI: NdiWSCInstallProvider(ECBDCBA0, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\rsvpsp.dll) Result=0, Errno=0

****** BEGIN NEW RECORDING *****

NETDI: SetupFlags=502 BootCount=2 NetSetupFlags=0 (RETAIL)
NETDI: VerifyCabsAvailable: Not network install, no need to verify
NETDI: ##################################################
NETDI: EnumComplete Start
NETDI: ====================FirstBootCall================= =
NETDI: ClassInstall (0x6 on 0x23b6:0x5468) on at
NETDI: Examining class Net
NETDI: Found Enum\Root\Net\0000 in registry
NETDI: NdiCreate(Dial-Up Adapter) OK
NETDI: Examining class NetTrans
NETDI: Found Enum\Network\MSTCP\0000 in registry
NETDI: NdiCreate(TCP/IP) OK
NETDI: Examining class NetClient
NETDI: Found Enum\Network\VREDIR\0000 in registry
NETDI: NdiCreate(Client for Microsoft Networks) OK
NETDI: dif_FirstTimeSetup
NETDI: ClassInstall(0x6) end
NETDI: ClassInstall (0xc on 0x23b6:0x5468) on at
NETDI: ClassInstall(0xc) end
Old 03-01-2004, 03:56 AM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

Here are his original quoted flow numbers.

To: Colin Hofheimer
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 9:01 AM
Subject: Re: STATUS?

Hi Colin,
The new springs and retainers are ordered and I am waiting word back from ndy on my production/ your pump body status. i have preliminary flow numbers for you from your heads, this is without the valve job and the heads are still in the machine shop geting the milling done. These are your Ferrea 2.02 valve flow numbers.

.100 73
.200 149
.300 210
.400 254
.450 272
.500 285
.550 291
.560 292 = cam lift for the TR 224.

After the valve / seat job I will expect about a 1-2 cfm gain across the board usually.
Joe Prince.

Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: TSP LID

Hey Joe,

Thanks for sending out the check- I really appreciate it. Good luck at the dyno today, and please let me know what kind of results you get.

Try to squeeze me in for the EWP install when you think you might have time, maybe install some Yella Terra roller rockers at the same time and then hit the dyno and see what we get? I hope that with the EWP, maybe some roller rockers, mill a little more off my heads to bump the compression, and more tuning I will hit 440-450 RWHP. What do you think? Remember, with a shot bottom end and a bad tune I dynoed 422 RWHP.

I also am considering changing my exhaust system- the SLP dual-dual is just too quiet. Mikey says the Magnaflow is fairly quiet and dynos within 1 HP of a cutout. I can get a Magnaflow catback for $330 shipped. Any other suggestions? What is a good free-flowing exhaust that is not too loud? I want a little more sound than the SLP D/D, but not much. I am running Carsound cats now, so the car is considerably quieter.

What are your new cam specs- or is that still top secret? (You know I will be discrete; hell, nobody listens to me anyway! LOL!)

Thanks,

Colin Hofheimer

More........

Colin,
I guess that explains the dyno numbers, I do have your pump here on the wall and the edit is up and running. I don't know what alternate cam I could suggest? thats a bit out of my league, the largest cams I use is the one you have currently for thoses cubes, Possibly a 226-228? the heads flow very well right into the .580-.600 lift area.

Joe.
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 6:46 AM
Subject: Re: DEPOSIT

Yeah, 30 HP is a huge drop...I don't see how two dynos can vary that much...but the Performance dyno is notoriously pessimistic. Mikey says he has never seen a heads and cam LS1 dyno over 408 there. His 9 second TA only dynoed 480 there. Even combinations like GTP heads and TR cams only dyno 400 there when they consistently dyno 430-440 on other dynos. He did expect my numbers to be a bit higher; at least 400. We were both disappointed with 392.

I still want the EWP if you are still holding it for me? Hopefully we can dyno and tune when I come up to get the EWP installed. Is your LS1 Edit up and running now?

The only reason I may have lost a few ponies (that I can think of) is that I may have lost a little compression- the pistons ARE uses have valve reliefs in them. But Mikey said I would lose very little compression.

What if I went with a higher lift cam? I know your heads flow well past the .563" lift the TR cam has. Do you think I would pick up any?

Thanks,

Colin Hofheimer

To: Colin Hofheimer
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 6:00 PM

Sorry to hear that Colin,
30 RWH is a ton to be off by IMHO. Just to ake sure and confirm the numbers, you may want to bring it up here to JD's and see what it does on his dyno? just a thought, but JD's dyno has always been within 2-3 RWH of 3 other shops in the area so go figure?
Give me a call sometime (856) 498-0293
Joe
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 11:57 AM

Thanks, Joe. That's great! Hope things are going better with the engine building- got all the kinks worked out yet?

BTW, I got my ARE shortblock installed over the weekend and Mikey dyno tuned it with LS1 Edit. Are you familiar with the Performance Specialties dyno in Reading, PA? Either that dyno sucks, or my car sucks. With a fresh shortblock and good tuning, I only dynoed 392 RWHP through an open cutout. I dynoed 422 RWHP at JD's with a bad tune and a shot shortblock! What do you make of that?

I am so pissed with my dyno numbers I am seriously considering selling the car. I am tired of spending tons of time, money, and effort on the car and always being disappointed with the end result.

I know the Performance dyno is supposedly notoriously low, but 30 HP off? When I should have gained power? THAT SUCKS!

I'll probably give you a call later, right now I am seriously bummed out.

Colin Hofheimer
Old 03-01-2004, 04:18 AM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

/Quote from #1.

"2.) I am disappointed in the performance of the JPR S2 heads. The missing valve
seat, the loose valve guides, and the lower than expected dyno numbers. The local porter feels the heads were overported by JPR, and are the reason the car is not making better power. Unfortunately, we did not have a chance to have the heads independently flowed, so I cannot prove the assertion that the heads are not performing up to par."

Now, conventional thinking would tell you 2 things here.

1. if he felt they were "over ported" then why did he port them more?

2. I NEVER recieved a picture of the seat pocket that was "missing the seat" because there WOULD be damage there!

3. real stupid to port /adjust a set of heads without a flow bench.

JP

Last edited by JPR; 03-01-2004 at 04:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JPR
1. if he felt they were "over ported" then why did he port them more?
3. real stupid to port /adjust a set of heads without a flow bench.
JP
I wasn't going to say anything but that sounded kinda odd to me as well. Hope it gets worked out.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The a/f meter at Performance Specialties was defective when I tuned Matts car (and a few others) and caused a too rich tune by a full point. Basically garbage in, garbage out. Once I figured this out, I refunded his money even though this is not my policy. I offer FREE re-tunes to anyone questioning a problem. If there's no problem, they pay. If there is a problem, I offer a friendly apology and a free session. Quite honestly, I've never had a car come back except for the a/f meter issue with the Dynojet.

Every shop at one time or another will have an unhappy customer for reasons sometimes out of our control. It's how you handle these that makes you or breaks you. Right Joe?

Last edited by mikey; 03-01-2004 at 06:25 AM.