Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help! Can this be done?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help! Can this be done?

Hi everyone. I have a little delima, and I do mean little relatively speaking. It is possible to replace the AIR hose that connects to the stock air lid?? If so, how in the world do you get to the end of it to connect it?? I tried sticking my hand down there, and I could barely feel the clamp, so I don't know how in the world I will get the clamp compressed, the old hose off, a new clamp compressed with the new hose??

Here is why I want to do this.

I currently have a MTI lid, and it doesn't fit well anymore. It used to, until I starting screwing with it. Because it doesn't utilize that hose, I cut it shorter to get it out of the way. Now, I want to get rid of the MTI lid because it is rubbing the hood and removing paint. I'm afraid that it will eventually crack my hood.

I was interested in getting the SLP lid, only for the simple fact I like the way it looks. They all perform about the same. I found a good deal on one, but I will need to reconnect that hose. So, I need to order a new hose, but I'm afraid I won't be able to connect it.

Can someone please advise??

Thanks!!
Old 02-29-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

I believe the hose from the lid goes straight to the air pump. You can get to the pump from underneath the car and you should be able to get the clamp off from there.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

I rid myself of the AIR in my car and I had to plug the hole in the SLP lid. I found a suitable plug in a wooden dresser draw ****. I sanded the crap out of it and painted it black to match the lid. The thing does not stick out in any way and does not look out of place, it seemed like a short time fix at the time but I have had no problems with it yet.
Attached Thumbnails Please Help!  Can this be done?-before2.jpg   Please Help!  Can this be done?-after2.jpg  
Old 02-29-2004, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blk~2000~Z28
I rid myself of the AIR in my car and I had to plug the hole in the SLP lid. I found a suitable plug in a wooden dresser draw ****. I sanded the crap out of it and painted it black to match the lid. The thing does not stick out in any way and does not look out of place, it seemed like a short time fix at the time but I have had no problems with it yet.
Thanks! I can't really see the plug though. Hows the fitament of that lid overall?
Old 02-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Just buy a small conical K&N Filter or go to your local auto parts store and look in the ricer section for a small conical air filter to slide in the hose,same difference.I have a Direct-Flo and it came with the small K&N filter.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

The lid fits fine. Combined with the SLP bellows it is really tight so I usually have to take of the entire bellows/MAF to remove the lid. It is no big deal to me since it is only the one clamp on the TB that has to be loosened.
Sorry about not being able to see the plug. It is basically looks flush against the side of the lid. It is only about 1/8" to 1/4" thick combined with it being black make it blend better.