Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie parts interchange questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie parts interchange questions.

hey guys pretty new to the LS world, used to older small block chevy stuff, and DOHC 4.6 stuff. Anyways looking at buying a CTS-V like 04-05ish and wanna make a sleeper. my main questions are what is interchangable between the LS motors. from what I have gathered it seems the blocks are pretty interchangable between ls1-ls6 and ls2, and it seems that the head choice has to match the intake. please could some you give me a good basis to start with. Im looking at building up a V that starts with an ls6. What are the conditions to switch to say LS2 heads and such thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The CTS-V LS6 comes with better heads than the LS2. Both have 243 castings but the LS6 has lightweight hollow intake and sodium-filled exhaust valves.

The only LS2 parts that would represent "upgrades" to the CTS-V LS6 would be the block which is 6.0 liter over the 5.7 liter and the throttlebody, which is 90mm over the 78mm LS6. The LS6 intake outflows that on the LS2.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Teching In

hey thanks man, i guess I was refering more to aftermarket performance stuff, as far as looking to by aftermarket heads cam ect. what would crossover on the block. Or if anyone has great articles for begginers in the LS world Im all about learning so any info is appreciated. realisticly the day after i buy a V is when im ordering parts so im trying to do my research now. Im looking at a built short block and then doin heads and cam, and a single turbo car looking to make 600-700rwhp. but I guess im a little confused when shopping for heads and intake what heads fit what block and what intake fit what heads?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanbmw
hey guys pretty new to the LS world, used to older small block chevy stuff, and DOHC 4.6 stuff. Anyways looking at buying a CTS-V like 04-05ish and wanna make a sleeper. my main questions are what is interchangable between the LS motors. from what I have gathered it seems the blocks are pretty interchangable between ls1-ls6 and ls2, and it seems that the head choice has to match the intake. please could some you give me a good basis to start with. Im looking at building up a V that starts with an ls6. What are the conditions to switch to say LS2 heads and such thanks
As far as the head/intake match, you just need to be aware of cathedral port vs. square port. LS1/2/6 are cathedral along with about all of the truck motors (4.8/5.3/6.0), LS3/7/9 are square as well as the 6.2L L92 truck motor. Obviously you'll need to pair a cathedral port head with a cathedral port intake, and same for square port. If you're starting with the LS6, then no reason to switch to LS2 heads as they're identical save the aforementioned valves. Otherwise all LSX heads will fit all LSX blocks, save some of the aftermarket casting 6-bolt setups, but then you're getting into big dollars and big HP.

Once you get past that, there are minor differences in the sensors to research. Off the top of my head the cam/crank reluctor wheels are different teeth between Gen 3 and Gen 4, and the knock sensors are in a different location on the Gen 4s + LS2. Cam sensor moved to the front cover either on the LS2 or the Gen 4s, can't recall which. Also believe the injectors changed at the same time. You'll have to search, it's in the archives somewhere.

And the head bolt lengths changed somewhere in there during the Gen 3 years, around '03 I believe. Another thing you'll want to search for.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Teching In

ok cool man thats pretty much what i was looking for. Oh i will for sure be doing research but i think that anwsers most of my concerns on what to look into.