Sponsored by:

Trans Am wanting to die.. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Trans Am wanting to die.. HELP

01 TA m6-stock

Drove it today for about 20 minutes and it killed itself twice, and wanted to kill itself 5 or 6 times from the get go from a dead stop... but once I got it back on the highway it ran great until I got to low speeds again in the neighborhood.

While I was out and it was dying I went to the nearest autoparts place to get the codes...

P0327, P0332, P0420, P0704....

I know the first two codes are the knock sensors, and the third code said it was the Catalyst efficiency below threshold(bank1), and the last code said the clutch switch input circuit malfunction... Pretty lost on the last two

Please someone help me out! I'd like my car running great again like the beauty and the beast car that she is! :-( I'd like to think that these are just minor fixes and won't be a hassle to fix? :-( fingers crossed.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm by no means a code expert...however the O2 geeking out could wrongfully
tell the computer that the catalyst system is inneficient. I'd start by replacing
those and see if the 420 goes away. Not sure on the clutch switch...perhaps
something w/how you were having to drive it to prevent it from dying....
good luck
Old 07-17-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Run the car on the highway at night and get out out and look at the cats to see if they are glowing. If they are clogged that could cause the cat code and the dying problem
Old 07-17-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01TAchick
01 TA m6-stock

Drove it today for about 20 minutes and it killed itself twice, and wanted to kill itself 5 or 6 times from the get go from a dead stop... but once I got it back on the highway it ran great until I got to low speeds again in the neighborhood.

While I was out and it was dying I went to the nearest autoparts place to get the codes...

P0327, P0332, P0420, P0704....

I know the first two codes are the knock sensors, and the third code said it was the Catalyst efficiency below threshold(bank1), and the last code said the clutch switch input circuit malfunction... Pretty lost on the last two

Please someone help me out! I'd like my car running great again like the beauty and the beast car that she is! :-( I'd like to think that these are just minor fixes and won't be a hassle to fix? :-( fingers crossed.
That is an odd set of codes to have simultaneously. Did you do something like wash the motor? Water intrusion can cause multiple codes. Additionally, anytime P0327 and P0332 set simultaneously the wiring harness and connector leading to the knock sensors are the primary suspect.

I would start my disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to reset the computer. This may eliminate one more of the codes - for example if the clutch position switch code, as suggested above, is the result of pushing in the clutch to keep the engine from dying.

I suspect the primary code being set here is the p0420 because it will not set if the P0327 or P0332 codes are already set. That in turn leads back to the O2 sensor, the associated wiring/connectors, and/or exhaust leaks in the vicinity of the sensor.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DTC P0420.pdf (75.4 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by Darkman; 07-17-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darkman
That is an odd set of codes to have simultaneously. Did you do something like wash the motor? Water intrusion can cause multiple codes. Additionally, anytime P0327 and P0332 set simultaneously the wiring harness and connector leading to the knock sensors are the primary suspect.

I would start my disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to reset the computer. This may eliminate one more of the codes - for example if the clutch position switch code, as suggested above, is the result of pushing in the clutch to keep the engine from dying.

I suspect the primary code being set here is the p0420 because it will not set if the P0327 or P0332 codes are already set. That in turn leads back to the O2 sensor, the associated wiring/connectors, and/or exhaust leaks in the vicinity of the sensor.
I've never washed the engine bay, but the dealership I had bought it from, oh about 4 months ago, they more than likely washed it to make it look clean ya know... I'm actually going to try and reset the computer today.

If my cats ARE clogged.. can I take them off with still having stock manifolds?
Old 07-17-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

I've never washed the engine bay, but the dealership I had bought it from, oh about 4 months ago, they more than likely washed it to make it look clean ya know... I'm actually going to try and reset the computer today.

Well a motor area wash 4 months ago is not the problem, I was looking for something you may have done just before all the codes popped up.

I do not know about yours, but on a lot cars the O2 sensors are located on the pipe connected to the catalytic converter. The car can run without cats, but it cannot run without the front O2 sensors hooked up.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Well a motor area wash 4 months ago is not the problem, I was looking for something you may have done just before all the codes popped up.

I do not know about yours, but on a lot of these cars the O2 sensors are located on the pipe connected to the catalytic converter. The car can run without cats, but it cannot run without the front O2 sensors hooked up. So to remove the cats you would need to substitute an off-road pipe with an O2 sensor, which may not be a practical temporary solution.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darkman

I do not know about yours, but on a lot cars the O2 sensors are located on the pipe connected to the catalytic converter. The car can run without cats, but it cannot run without the front O2 sensors hooked up.
The only thing I've done was put on aftermarket rims, and had the exhaust dumped before the rear end. That's about the time everything started to pop up.

Do you think the previous owner could have deleted the 02 sensors?
Old 07-17-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

The only thing I've done was put on aftermarket rims, and had the exhaust dumped before the rear end. That's about the time everything started to pop up.

Do you think the previous owner could have deleted the 02 sensors?
It is not likely that the previous owner deleted the front 02 sensors. It is common to find the rear O2 sensors turned off within the computer to avoid the error codes that can come from running the high-flow cats that accompany headers. Unless you have headers, it is unlikely that the rear 02 sensors are turned off.

It is possible that whoever did the exhaust work inadvertently did something to the O2 sensor wiring which is located on front part of the exhaust system. It could also be pure happenstance.