Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Lunati Gold Dual Spring Set Viton Seals

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Lunati Gold Dual Spring Set Viton Seals

I have a question. I bought the Lunati Gold Valve Spring set (see http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2584&gid=322 for specs and pics). I don't understand the viton seal setup in this set. It seems the valve seat and seal are two parts which isn't a problem until you look at the seat. The diameter of the guide is too big for the viton seal to slide over. In fact they are the SAME diameter. My understanding is that the seal should fit tightly on the seat to prevent leakage (normally the seat and seal are one piece on GMs). I am changing my seals because of leaking seals so it defeats the purpose of changing the seals if these leak worse. I need some guidance on this before I change my springs and seals. Any constructive feedback will be appreciated!
Old 07-23-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastNTopless
The diameter of the guide is too big for the viton seal to slide over. In fact they are the SAME diameter. My understanding is that the seal should fit tightly on the seat to prevent leakage (normally the seat and seal are one piece on GMs).
Maybe the guide seals are just tight fitters (?).

The description of the kit says:
"The kit is complete with dual valve springs, steel retainers, locks, valve seals and spring locators and represents a drop-in installation for many popular LS applications."

This would make me believe everything should fit on a stock LSx head. Any instructions included with the kit that say otherwise?
Old 07-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Teching In

No instructions came with the kit. I have 243 cast heads that are off of a 2003 Z06 so fitment shouldn't be a problem. I have just never seen 2-piece valve seat/seals, especially on GMs. That's why I am lost with this set. I only have tomorrow (in the near future) to do the valve spring/seal swap so I can't call any businesses for tech support. I am just hoping someone on this site has dealt with this Lunati kit.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...l-install.html
Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastNTopless
I have just never seen 2-piece valve seat/seals, especially on GMs. That's why I am lost with this set.
Lunati went with a separate spring seat and a separate guide seal because of the double spring design - typical with any dual spring setup. There is way less room for a seal when the ID of the inner spring is barely larger than the guide. With the GM design, the guide seals are meant to be used with a single beehive spring, which has lots of room on the inside of the spring to go around the guide and seal.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Just making sure I understand. So I just slide the seal down the valve until it sits flush with the seat? There's no way it's going to slide on the seat.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

The valve seals fit tightly over the valve guide and seal to the guide. not the locator that this spring sits on. Ive installed two sets of these now and love them. You wont have any trouble at all. Just take a 12mm deep socket and a light hammer and tap the seals down lightly until you feel the whole head take the impact when you tap the hammer (it will be obvious). No need to hit them hard and you will be set. Good luck with them!

Quick Reply: Question about Lunati Gold Dual Spring Set Viton Seals