Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam bolts came loose

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam bolts came loose

I just put a cam in my 99 C5 and I'm assuming I didn't clean the bolts enough prior to putting the thread locker on and they came loose. Oops, guess I'll learn from this one.

Anyway, I was wondering if I need to remove the rockers to move the cam or if I can just turn the motor and slowly try to move it forward. I don't want to damage anything, basically the lifters are riding on the front of the lobes rather than in the middle.

I have a pic but it's kind of hard to see, I took the intake manifold off and looked under the cover.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Restricted User

Hopefully there isn't any damage... The best thing to do really is take the valve covers off and loosen all the rockers and take the pr's out, than flick the cam over a cuple times so you get get the lifters up and try to push it back in while slowly turning it. Than I would pull the cam and check for damage
Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I'll do that. I planned on taking the rockers out, just wasn't sure if that was 100% necessary. I'm sure hoping there was no damage.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by About2Bite
...Anyway, I was wondering if I need to remove the rockers to move the cam or if I can just turn the motor and slowly try to move it forward. I don't want to damage anything, basically the lifters are riding on the front of the lobes rather than in the middle...
Ummm, just what are your plans once this "moving the cam forward" has been accomplished? Do you think it'll stay where you put it?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Ummm, just what are your plans once this "moving the cam forward" has been accomplished? Do you think it'll stay where you put it?
I think he planned on putting the bolt's back in.... I don't really get what your saying...
Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by z99ls1
I think he planned on putting the bolt's back in.... I don't really get what your saying...
Sounds to me like he's expecting to move the cam forward and have it stay in that position without any mechanical intervention. If he's just putting the bolts in, why worry about where the cam is? Just put the bolts in and torque them, the cam will move to the correct (and only) position it can.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

I'd think it wouldn't torque properly since the lifters would be putting pressure on the cam. So that's why I was going to move the cam to the correct position then torque the bolts. The cam won't easily move forwards or backwards with the pressure on it from the valvetrain.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Sounds to me like he's expecting to move the cam forward and have it stay in that position without any mechanical intervention. If he's just putting the bolts in, why worry about where the cam is? Just put the bolts in and torque them, the cam will move to the correct (and only) position it can.
I'm not sure if he knows if the lifters are sitting on the cam or not. If they are just barely sitting on the cam still I guess I would say you could push the cam in and just put the bolts in and torque the bolts down. Definitely got to be carefull not to force it if the lifters get hung up it could scratch the cam
Old 07-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Restricted User

I'd think it wouldn't torque properly since the lifters would be putting pressure on the cam. So that's why I was going to move the cam to the correct position then torque the bolts. The cam won't easily move forwards or backwards with the pressure on it from the valvetrain.
Yea it sounds like you need to atleast loosen the rockers a little bit to get it back in all the way.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

The lifters are on the cam, just not in the middle of the lobes they are about even with the front of the lobe
Old 07-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Restricted User

If it slides back easy than do it, but don't force it. If it is to hard I would loosen the rocker nut and than slide it in
Old 07-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Oh it won't move, they are going to have to be loosened. It's not a big deal though.

Anyone heard anything about this:

http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...984.html#P8469
Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Restricted User

Oh it won't move, they are going to have to be loosened. It's not a big deal though.

Anyone heard anything about this:

http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...984.html#P8469
That's pretty cool. Honestly though, do you think you got the bolts tight enuf? Did you torque them? Not bashing at all just curious. Don't want to be worrying about my bolts backing out when I do my cam swap
Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Torqued them to 26 lb ft with a torque wrench. Put loctite red thread locker on the bolts.

I didn't spray the bolts off with brake cleaner or anything though, I think that's what caused the problem. I just cleaned them off with a new rag and put the loctite on them. I should have used some sort of cleaner on them so the loctite would hold better.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Restricted User

Torqued them to 26 lb ft with a torque wrench. Put loctite red thread locker on the bolts.

I didn't spray the bolts off with brake cleaner or anything though, I think that's what caused the problem. I just cleaned them off with a new rag and put the loctite on them. I should have used some sort of cleaner on them so they loctite would hold better.
Still the bolts shouldn't have backed out.... Now im going to be paranoid with my cam bolts lol.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Buy that Comp lock plate, it comes with new bolts and is only 8.50. I'm sure if you clean the stock bolts good you'll be fine. I just ended up being one of the few who had the problem, I'm just glad I found out before anything serious happened. This is not an uncommon problem.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Restricted User

Buy that Comp lock plate, it comes with new bolts and is only 8.50. I'm sure if you clean the stock bolts good you'll be fine. I just ended up being one of the few who had the problem, I'm just glad I found out before anything serious happened. This is not an uncommon problem.
I will probably buy that kit... How to you realize this was happening?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Car threw a code for the cam position sensor. So I took the intake manifold off to see the sensor, which looked fine, then I pulled the cover off top of the motor and saw the lifter sitting off center and knew what had happened.

Sucks but live and learn I guess. Sure won't ever happen again I can tell you that much
Old 07-26-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I broke a stock bolt getting it to torque last month. ARP sells the cam bolt kit for 15 bucks and the bolts are much better than oe quality. With the arp's you can actually feel the bolt tighten and torque whereas with the stockers they tighten up but have a stretching feeling to them compared to the arps.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

ouch. The comp kit comes with new bolts, but yeah i've heard of them breaking off in the cam. That sucks, were you able to get the bolt out?

Quick Reply: Cam bolts came loose