Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun rod bearing - no oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Default Spun rod bearing - no oil?

Hi, I'm after any opinions if possible. The engine was a real dog when I first saw it 2 years ago. It was found to have 4 early rod/piston combo's and 4 late combo's inside. It was heavily tarnished internally, the worst I've ever seen and probably came from Oz. It was cleaned and given a bottom end refurb. The owner ran it in for 1000 miles at under 3000 rpm and initially used 20/50 oil. Neither will have helped the engine. It spun a rod bearing at 3000 miles and other bearings are showing signs of stress. Top piston ring has bedded in and is shiney over it's entire surface. Second ring is only shiney around it's top edge so presumably hasn't bedded in. The bores were honed prior to new rings being fitted.

Would I be correct in assuming that a 'build issue' would have shown up fairly immediatly after the build and not 3000 miles later?

Would an oiling fault have caused the spun bearing, given that the rod sits on a film of oil.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Spun rod bearing - no oil?-shells.jpg   Spun rod bearing - no oil?-main-bearing-caps.jpg  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What # rod bearing is that? If it is the #1 or #2 rod bearing then it was more than likely an oiling issue. These rods see engine oil last. Your pressure can even read OK while they are being starved for oil. Just happened to my motor a few weeks ago.