Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cammed Z28 sounds terrible

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cammed Z28 sounds terrible

I was driving my Camaro the other day and got on it, all of a sudden at about 5 or 6 grand it lost power. It idled really rough then died and I could not get it to restart. It sounds like it wanted to start but it would only run for a second or 2 and it sounded terrible.

I was by a parts store so I went ahead and rented a fuel pressure gauge and that checked out fine. I had to have it towed home and I checked for spark, and that was all good as well.

So today I talked to my neighbor who is a mechanic and he said he thought it might be a crank position sensor, so I went ahead and put a new one in, and it didn't help at all. So he jumped in it and got it to start but would barely run and it sounded terrible. It would only run with the throttle to the floor, but it would hardly rev up at all. It knocks and clatters really bad like it is the lifters or something. Almost sounds like it has no oil in it, but I just changed the oil about 100 miles ago and it is still at the full mark on the stick, and the oil pressure gauge is showing that it has oil pressure. I pulled the driver side valve cover and everything looked normal, but it got dark before I could get to the passenger side.

All engine mods were done by the previous owner, this is what I was told was done to it: LS6 block that had about 30,000 miles on it, he re-ringed it and put new bearings in it, it has a TSP Torquer V.2 cam in it with dual valve springs and hardened push rods, and it has pacesetter long tubes. Other than that, I'm not too sure what else the motor has done to it ( timing chain or oil pump). It only has about 4-5000 miles on the rebuild and I have never had any problems with it for the 3000 miles I've put on it.

I'm not too sure what could be wrong with it, but I have a feeling its gonna be pretty expensive. I was thinking maybe somehow it jumped a tooth on the timing set or something like that. Tomorrow I'm gonna bring cylinder #1 to TDC and look at the valves to see if they're where they should be, but other than that I need some suggestions.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Look for stupid simple stuff like disconneted pigtails and burnt or broken wiring, sensors etc. If you find no problems there then try pulling the valve covers and checking things out. May want to have a look at the oil to check for metal shavings. Sounds like it could be bad. Good luck dude.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Restricted User

Sounds scary to me that previous owner put bearings and stuff in
Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

pull the passanger side valve cover and inspect, maybe a broken valve spring, but sound like you may have broken a valve itself, or even broken a rod if it will not rev. pull the pass side valve cover and go from there, pulling the heads will tell all, if there is any damage to the motor.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do a leak down or a compression check.pull both valve covers and look for broken valve springs or bent push rods.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
do a leak down or a compression check.pull both valve covers and look for broken valve springs or bent push rods.
comp check should be the 1st thing on ur list
Old 08-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
pull the passanger side valve cover and inspect, maybe a broken valve spring, but sound like you may have broken a valve itself, or even broken a rod if it will not rev. pull the pass side valve cover and go from there, pulling the heads will tell all, if there is any damage to the motor.
yep. And FYI if you checked spark and it was ok, then CKP is good. If it was bad, it wouldn't have even sent a signal, so no spark would have been observable. Anyway, let us know what you find. Good Luck.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check your fuses too
Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Alright, so I was pulling out my spark plugs to do the compression check and when I pulled out the number 4 plug, it was all beat to hell. Looks like I'm gonna be pulling the head off, so I might as well just pull the engine and throw a new cam in,a good set of heads, and get her all cleaned up. Sorry for the crappy picture, my phone camera is terrible.
Attached Thumbnails Cammed Z28 sounds terrible-imag0090.jpg  
Old 08-03-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you just broke a spark plug?? Jk.. Sucks man, as they say you gotta pay to play..

Look at it as an opportunity, when mine went I built an ls3.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

first before you go and buy all the fancy parts, go ahead and pull the head on the side with the broken spark plug. that is a sign of a broken valve, if your cylinder walls are ok, then maybe the motor is usable. but a compression test should tell you if #4 is busted or not. anything under 180 is bad, 190 for norm (10.1:1 compression on stock LS1 heads)
Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pulling the head is little more than curiosity-satisfaction at this point, there's no way the piston survived whatever happened. Engine comes out regardless of your findings.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Teching In

I finally got around to pulling the passenger head off. The piston has a hole in it and the valve is wedged sideways in the head. The cylinder wall has a nick in it so I don't think I will be able to reuse it.

Here are some crappy cell phone pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Cammed Z28 sounds terrible-photo.jpg   Cammed Z28 sounds terrible-imag0101.jpg   Cammed Z28 sounds terrible-imag0099.jpg  
Old 08-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Restricted User

How long did you run it like that? Drain oil immediatly if you havent already. Motor will probably need rebuilt due to metal going through it imo.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z99ls1
How long did you run it like that? Drain oil immediatly if you havent already. Motor will probably need rebuilt due to metal going through it imo.
After it lost all power, it probably ran for about 10 or 15 seconds before it died. The motor is definitely going be gone through, if I can even reuse it. It has a small nick in the wall that I don't think a slight bore or hone could take out. I guess i could have a sleeve put in that cylinder...or maybe I should just start looking for a 6.0 truck engine?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have you determined the root cause of the failure?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Launching!

What caused it...
Old 08-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Is that the first time you had gotten on it that hard? I would say it looks like a shotty build to me but kinda odd if you've been driving it that hard for a few thousand miles. I'm curious to know if he checked for the correct length pushrod before installing new ones after the cam. Although, that isn't a hugh lift cam so they may have been fine. I'm curious to know the cause as well......
Old 08-16-2011, 01:45 AM
Teching In

As of right now I'm not quite sure of what caused it. Pulling the head off is as far as I've gotten so far and I'm hoping to have time to get the motor out by then end of this week.

I've been driving it hard since the day I got it and it has never given me any trouble and it had no funny noises. It had TSP 7.4" hardened pushrods in it but if that was the correct length, I don't know, I never checked. But then again who knows if the engine only had 30,000 miles on it and who knows if he redid it all. I should be able to find out the root cause by the end of this week.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Teching In

What valve springs? Maybe broke a spring and the valve dropped I wouldn't go 30k on springs w/o checking