Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rocker arm torque specs? pushrod length?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rocker arm torque specs? pushrod length?

ok im having problems with getting the roller rockers right. I torque them to 22 ft. lbs like the book says and the motor will not fire and turns over hard. so i back the bolts for the roller rockers off a full turn, and it fires but runs kind of rough. Would the push rods be to long? I have this cam: (with 7.4" push-rods)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-54-412-11/

Also number 3,2 cylinders header pipes are not getting that warm. All the rest of the header pipes will burn your hand off but these to stay "warm" like you can grab them and not get burnt.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you torquing them down in sequence as shown in the post below?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/9308357-post4.html
Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by parks450
ok im having problems with getting the roller rockers right. I torque them to 22 ft. lbs like the book says and the motor will not fire and turns over hard. so i back the bolts for the roller rockers off a full turn, and it fires but runs kind of rough. Would the push rods be to long? I have this cam: (with 7.4" push-rods)
If you've backed off the rocker bolts a full turn, then the rocker trunions aren't seated tight anymore in their cradle, which is not a good thing.

If the base circle on the new cam was smaller, then the pushrods could be too short ... and if the base circle on the new cam is larger, then the pushrods could be too long. You would have to measure to know for sure.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so I took off the rocker arms and where they bolt in the girdle they actualltly left indents on the girdle. Which isnt good, would to long of pushrods do this?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You stated "roller rockers" in your post, what rockers are you running? If not stock, some rockers require shorter pushrods.

You state that it is hard to turn over, can you be more descriptive? Have you turned it by hand, and if so, does it get hard then easy then hard, etc.?

Do you have photos of the dents in the rocker stands?

Quick Reply: rocker arm torque specs? pushrod length?