Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Pump Install Question

Currently am in the process of doing a cam swap on my 2000 Z28. I am chugging along just fine but have a question regarding the oil pump. I went ahead and got a Melling 10295 oil pump, when I was removing the old oil pump I noticed the o ring stayed inside the body of the pump and not on the actual oil pick up tube. Being a dumbass bonehead I seated the new Melling O ring inside the Melling pump body instead of on the pick up tube first. The pickup tube seemed to bolt up fine to the pump body, it looks flush and not sitting cockeyed. But i'm wondering if I should just drop the oil pan down again and check the O ring. In addition can I use a GM oil pump o ring or does it have to be a Melling o ring since i'm using a Melling pump? Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure about which oring to use but if you have already put it back together and feel confident you didnt snag or pinch it in any way then I would give it a try
Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right on. I will take a look at it again tomorrow, i'm just doing a little bit at a time after work. I've been stopping when I start to get tired in fear that i'll make mistakes due to fatigue. From what I can see it looks like the tube is seated properly on the pump body, but then again it's hard as hell to get a good look at it. I don't know what the hell I was thinking by putting the o ring inside the body first. Just a brain lapse I suppose .
Old 08-04-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

brain fatigue? lol its really no big deal. i fought an oring on my first intall with my buddies T/A and honestly its like any other oring if it works it works. sure it would have been better on the tube but its in now. if youre not gonna be able to sleep at night pull it out but if you do id replace the oring with a new one and be done with it
Old 08-04-2011, 05:02 AM
Teching In

I chewed up the melling o ring when I installed my pump, replaced it with a GM ring and its all fine. Put some lube on the o ring when you install it it will go a lot easier. Better to make sure its all good now than to have to tear it apart again later.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Its fine to put it inside the pump inlet. That's where it ends up anyway.

Quick Reply: Oil Pump Install Question