Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car jerking and then stalling out at wot at 100mph?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car jerking and then stalling out at wot at 100mph?

i have just put a ls1 in my 68 camaro and i have had it for about a 100 miles now and i was playing around today and went wot from first to third and at 100mph the car jerked violently three or four times, my foot was still on the gas and it wouldnt accelarate at all. i let off the gas and hit the gas again and it back fired really loud three times and stalled out. i stopped and checked some things out and everything looked fime, but i am no mechanic to say the least. it cranked right back up. i drove it home. it drove fine almost all the way home. i was riding at about 2000rpm's when it jerked violently again and then acouple secods later it stalled out. when it jerked at sounded like my exhaust was going to fall off. now it is not really wanting to start. it will turn over and maybe run for a couple seconds and then stall out, once again the exhaust sounds like it is about to fall off. i have a full tank of gas, and the voltage is good. do any of yall have any ideas
Old 03-02-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

This sounds like what my car did when the crank position sensor bit the dust. It had somehow gotten oil in the connector. I'd be going WOT and it'd hit a wall at 3500. I'd still have my foot in it and it'd backfire like there was a cannon under the car. Rev it up in neutral. Does it still do it? My tach would bounce around a lot once it got to 3500 in neutral. Do you have any way to check for trouble codes?
Old 03-02-2004, 09:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wheres your top speed limiter set at? If your gearing, and tire size havent been accomidated using tuning there could be an issue there...i know at like 119ish mine kicked in on the dyno...mess with tires sizes and such and it easily could happen around 100-110..just a heads up.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

when it was in neural after i cranked it back up i could rev it up with no problems. i dont have a top speed limiter, i dont think. ive aready been 135mph in it.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

i do not know how to check th codes. it might be a little tuff to figure out considering it is in a 68 camaro.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Wink

Originally Posted by Jake99SS
This sounds like what my car did when the crank position sensor bit the dust. It had somehow gotten oil in the connector. I'd be going WOT and it'd hit a wall at 3500. I'd still have my foot in it and it'd backfire like there was a cannon under the car. Rev it up in neutral. Does it still do it? My tach would bounce around a lot once it got to 3500 in neutral. Do you have any way to check for trouble codes?

thanks for the help. i went to get it fixed and told them that i looked the car over and that i thought it was probably just the crank position sensor, and he said ok. sure enough you were right. so now i look like i now what im talking about. thanks
Old 03-04-2004, 06:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad to see it worked out

Quick Reply: car jerking and then stalling out at wot at 100mph?