Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Question

I am schedueled to have a cam installed in several more days. The car is driven daily but I still wanted to do a cam change. The mods done are very limited. Granatelli Maf, Slp air box lid, smooth bellows, K&N filter, and 4:11 gears. Speaking to several people in comp cams, the cam will produce more power (enough to be noticible) with out tuning.

Some other people said that doing a cam only change will not make that much of a difference. The cam is 220 224 565 570 113 +4.

Any comments would be appreciated.....
Old 03-03-2004, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much any cam you install will add power straight out of the box. Some more than others. Also, to get the most out of any cam, the car should really be tuned. Also, headers really help to make the cam effective. As many people have said, you are basically "shooting yourself in the foot" if you install a cam w/o headers or tuning. So either get headers first, or after. That cam will not require tuning, but tuning will get some more power out of it. You also need valve springs too.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:21 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have headers and exhaust (or plan on getting them soon) and aren't going to spray the car ... go with a straight up cam (same intake/exhaust duration) ... or a reverse split (larger intake duration) ... they tend to make more power on a basically stock LS1.

Also, I would advise something alittle larger.

224/224 114 or even a 112 LSA is a perfect daily driver cam that will put you up near the 390 rwhp mark, with some bolt-ons and a tune.
228/224 114/112 would be a bit more agressive but will also put out some great power and be perfectly drivable with a good tune.

You have an M6, so you can go much larger then someone with an A4 could, and still maintain excellent drivability. Don't make the mistake of going with a smaller cam as I did my first time (goin on my 3rd cam now ... hehe) because you think it wont be drivable.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:45 AM
Launching!

I installed a cam with no headers and it was almost pointless. After I installed my headers it was a totally different car. It really woke things up. Do headers first and the cam later.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

SPRINGS!!! Gotta have some springs!

Installing a bigger cam without installing better springs is suicide! It's worth the money spent to go with a good dual spring, Crane, Rev, etc.

Don't let the Comp people talk you into a single spring. You want a dual! You'll get more out of the cam by doing this.