Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this block still work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will this block still work?

I recently had a mechanical over-rev in my 98 ls1 5.7L. The engine has 102,000 miles on it. Earlier today I got the heads off to see the pistons and it seems like they all were hit by the valves. There were some pretty deep impressions. Here's some pictures..

What I want to know is if I can still run with this block. I was thinking about investing in some nice heads, and a cam, but I don't want the bottom end to break on me only a month after the installation... Has anybody ever done this before? Do you guys think I should just get a new motor?

All opinions are appreciated.

-Price
Old 08-07-2011, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You did not hurt the block or pistons.You just bent a bunch of valves.I would clean up the top of the pistons with WD-40 and a scotch brite pad untill they are clean,and lightly sand down the any sharp edges made by the valve contact,as this will create hot spots on the pistons.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Launching!

I would have went to jail....after providing some aggravated battery to a mechanic!

Make his a$$ pay for it.

I would NOT run it like that. Every piston got smacked by a valve. Dont let him blow smoke up yer you know what and say all is ok.

Those pistons have been damaged permanently and sine their face are breached they coud come apart anytime. Sure they MIGHT be ok to run...but do you wanna find out later that they werent? After you put the money in gaskets and what not into it. The valves could be bent and will cause premature valve guide wear at the very least. The rods could be bent just a little....to let go later.

I would simply not use that motor. Have the block checked over and have the mechanic pay for a short block rebuild and have the heads checked over and rebuilt if ok.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by remauto1187
I would have went to jail....after providing some aggravated battery to a mechanic!

Make his a$$ pay for it.

I would NOT run it like that. Every piston got smacked by a valve. Dont let him blow smoke up yer you know what and say all is ok.

Those pistons have been damaged permanently and sine their face are breached they coud come apart anytime. Sure they MIGHT be ok to run...but do you wanna find out later that they werent? After you put the money in gaskets and what not into it. The valves could be bent and will cause premature valve guide wear at the very least. The rods could be bent just a little....to let go later.

I would simply not use that motor. Have the block checked over and have the mechanic pay for a short block rebuild and have the heads checked over and rebuilt if ok.
I think you're getting confused. I was driving the car when I hit the wrong gear and i over-reved the motor. I'm paying for everything. It's a mechanical over-rev. A mechanic didn't over-rev it.. lol.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
You did not hurt the block or pistons.You just bent a bunch of valves.I would clean up the top of the pistons with WD-40 and a scotch brite pad untill they are clean,and lightly sand down the any sharp edges made by the valve contact,as this will create hot spots on the pistons.
Yeah, i tested one head just for ***** today with water and every intake valve leaked.

I'm hoping everything is okay with the pistons. I cranked the car while my dad looked at how high the pistons were going up and everything seemed to be going smoothly and level.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing about a month ago. Every intake valve hit. I smoothed out the nicks, put new valves, lifters, trays, and springs in it, and put it back together. As long as the piston isn't cracked I think you'll be ok. You might not need new lifters or springs but I figured since everything was apart I might as well. I would probably at least check the spring pressure to make sure you didn't hurt one.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
I did the same thing about a month ago. Every intake valve hit. I smoothed out the nicks, put new valves, lifters, trays, and springs in it, and put it back together. As long as the piston isn't cracked I think you'll be ok. You might not need new lifters or springs but I figured since everything was apart I might as well. I would probably at least check the spring pressure to make sure you didn't hurt one.
How can you tell if it's cracked..? Do you think I should just clean them up and try and look closer..? So far I couldn't see any..
Old 08-07-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah just clean them up and look close. Might even use a magnifying glass.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by N/A_gets_you_laid
I think you're getting confused. I was driving the car when I hit the wrong gear and i over-reved the motor. I'm paying for everything. It's a mechanical over-rev. A mechanic didn't over-rev it.. lol.
AHH./...lol Then looks like you get to foot the bill. Some lessons really suck when you insist on learning the HARD way. Good Luck With all that!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Leaving those dents on the pistons will cause hot spots and pre-detonation. I'd clean up the pistons with a disc sander. If all the pistons look good and un-cracked under a magnifying glass & strong light, check every one for TDC deck height to make sure you didn't bend a connecting rod. I'd also consider changing the timing chain as it took a bunch of heavy shocks with every piston smack.

And get an automatic transmission
Old 08-08-2011, 05:25 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

OH YEAH, never consider putting nitrous on this engine.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Leaving those dents on the pistons will cause hot spots and pre-detonation. I'd clean up the pistons with a disc sander. If all the pistons look good and un-cracked under a magnifying glass & strong light, check every one for TDC deck height to make sure you didn't bend a connecting rod. I'd also consider changing the timing chain as it took a bunch of heavy shocks with every piston smack.

And get an automatic transmission
I'm looking for an lq9 with few miles or another low mileage ls1 motor. I'm not sure what's going to happen in the next few weeks. If I get tired of waiting for good deals I'll probably settle for the same motor and just stick on some 5.3 PRC heads and a 228r cam.

Either way.. The t56 stays.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:40 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I'd suggest you see if any LS2/24x motors are out there. It'll connect up easier and not have the added weight of the iron blocked LQ.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

My buddy has a brand new ls1 sitting in his garage. zero miles on an aluminum block 5.7 LS1 sounds good.. This news has come in tonight. Looks like it's my lucky day..
Old 08-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Teching In

be happy you didn't do more damage. lol. good luck with the fixin.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Zero miles? Good find!