LS1.. 427 Stroker build.?? - LS1TECH



Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1.. 427 Stroker build.??

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 10
Default LS1.. 427 Stroker build.??

Texas-speed.com sells a stroker kit for an ls1 stroked to a 427.. Im kind of stuck on purchasing it unless someone knows something I dont about going that big on a displacement kit. I also need help picking a set of head and cam package also. My goals are to build a motor to handle being procharged down the line. but I want like 550-600 rwhp on just motor.. I think with the motor being a 427 it should be fairly easy. correct me if I am wrong. The car will not b an every day car.. but if I wanted to drive it everyday.. i want the option to.. I know I will have to build my M6 trans a little. and when I procharge it. thats wen I plan on replacing the rear end with a 9 inch.. so i need opinions on the 427.. and head n cams suggestions for the 427.. thanks in advance
02M6TTOPZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
TECH Resident
iTrader: (66)
 
supersick99z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 794
Default

The kit they sale will require your ls1 block to be resleeved I believe which cost a small fortune
supersick99z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 10,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M6TTOPZ28 View Post
Texas-speed.com sells a stroker kit for an ls1 stroked to a 427.. Im kind of stuck on purchasing it unless someone knows something I dont about going that big on a displacement kit. I also need help picking a set of head and cam package also. My goals are to build a motor to handle being procharged down the line. but I want like 550-600 rwhp on just motor.. I think with the motor being a 427 it should be fairly easy. correct me if I am wrong. The car will not b an every day car.. but if I wanted to drive it everyday.. i want the option to.. I know I will have to build my M6 trans a little. and when I procharge it. thats wen I plan on replacing the rear end with a 9 inch.. so i need opinions on the 427.. and head n cams suggestions for the 427.. thanks in advance
Well, the LS1 block is perhaps the best of all the LSx blocks.....so get it resleeved at a place like ERL or RED and go nuts with it. it'll be fine to 1,000 hp.

550 RWHP is a breeze with 427 cubic inches. That extra 50 to make 600 takes some good matching of the top end and cam.

If you'r going to procharge it.....I suggest only stroking the engine 4", maybe 4.1" max.....and about 4" bore. Let the procharger do the work and have a more reliable engine. 4" x 4" = 402ci....perfect for a procharger. 427ci is a bit big. If you want a little more cubes N/A....maybe do 4.1" bore x 4" stroke = 422ci. But the 402ci would be much better with the procharger.

You can still make close to 550 RWHP with a 402ci or 422ci.

.
LS6427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
TECH Veteran
iTrader: (14)
 
bayer-z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: N. Falmouth MA
Posts: 4,096
Default

^ I would think the LS6 block was better just because of the better bottom-end breathing with the "windows." And I've only recently learned that the LS1/6 blocks can be re-sleeved. Back before the LS3 came out (and even when the LS2 was still new,) we were stuck stroking the LS2 because the C5R block was the only other option for a larger bore.
bayer-z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 10,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayer-z28 View Post
^ I would think the LS6 block was better just because of the better bottom-end breathing with the "windows." And I've only recently learned that the LS1/6 blocks can be re-sleeved. Back before the LS3 came out (and even when the LS2 was still new,) we were stuck stroking the LS2 because the C5R block was the only other option for a larger bore.
My LS6 block was resleeved back in 2002. I also had an LS1 resleeved before that from ARE.

I think it was Steve Darmijian of RED that told me the LS1 block is the strongest of them all.

.
LS6427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6427 View Post
Well, the LS1 block is perhaps the best of all the LSx blocks.....so get it resleeved at a place like ERL or RED and go nuts with it. it'll be fine to 1,000 hp.

550 RWHP is a breeze with 427 cubic inches. That extra 50 to make 600 takes some good matching of the top end and cam.

If you'r going to procharge it.....I suggest only stroking the engine 4", maybe 4.1" max.....and about 4" bore. Let the procharger do the work and have a more reliable engine. 4" x 4" = 402ci....perfect for a procharger. 427ci is a bit big. If you want a little more cubes N/A....maybe do 4.1" bore x 4" stroke = 422ci. But the 402ci would be much better with the procharger.

You can still make close to 550 RWHP with a 402ci or 422ci.

.

okay good, so let the pro charger do the work. Im gonna go out on a limb and ask how possible is it to get about 500rwhp with a ls1.. stock bore n stroke.. with a head and cam package?
02M6TTOPZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
LS1TECH Sponsor
iTrader: (4)
 
Jason 98 TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Texas!
Posts: 4,229
Default

Give us a call & we will be happy to sit down & discuss a lot of options to get you what your looking for. You have to carefully select your components to get the desired power & dependability. It's best to discuss these options over the phone, and then we can build you a very detailed engine price quote.
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
TECH Resident
iTrader: (22)
 
02blackbeauty19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana
Posts: 911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6427 View Post
My LS6 block was resleeved back in 2002. I also had an LS1 resleeved before that from ARE.

I think it was Steve Darmijian of RED that told me the LS1 block is the strongest of them all.

.
Yeah, Steve does believe that the LS1 block is the strongest because it has solid main webs with no cast in breather holes. It runs about $2,600ish for Steve at RED to sleeve it.
02blackbeauty19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Kleeborp the Moderator™
iTrader: (11)
 
MeentSS02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 10,302
Default

Sleeve an LS1 and you'll be dealing with a wet sleeve, so you'll also need Evans coolant and their water pump. Not a huge deal, but it will add to the cost.

Last I checked, the LS1 couldn't be done with a dry sleeve like the LS2 can.
MeentSS02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Launching!
 
98_TA_EMLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N. Va
Posts: 283
Default

i gotta ls1 block sitting in the shed I gotta do something with...I'm debating whether it's worth it to resleeve this or sell it and go to the ls2 for the infamous 454.
98_TA_EMLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeentSS02 View Post
Sleeve an LS1 and you'll be dealing with a wet sleeve, so you'll also need Evans coolant and their water pump. Not a huge deal, but it will add to the cost.

Last I checked, the LS1 couldn't be done with a dry sleeve like the LS2 can.
Just curious why this coolant and their pump would be necessary. Sleeves are cast iron.
COPO9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #12
Kleeborp the Moderator™
iTrader: (11)
 
MeentSS02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 10,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO9560 View Post
Just curious why this coolant and their pump would be necessary. Sleeves are cast iron.
Take a gander here:

427 cu.in. LS1/6 blocks with Darton MID sleeves
MeentSS02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #13
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 10,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M6TTOPZ28 View Post
okay good, so let the pro charger do the work. Im gonna go out on a limb and ask how possible is it to get about 500rwhp with a ls1.. stock bore n stroke.. with a head and cam package?
It was done years ago with stock bore and stroke.......I think the old Morgan Motorsports did it with their Aggrressor 500 H/C kit.

But its not gonna be all that idle friendly.......lope from hell.

.
LS6427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
12 Second Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: STL, MO
Posts: 29
Default

You can get 500 whp from 346 ci pretty easy. Great cylinder heads, well picked cam specs, 13:1 CR, and meth/H2O injection will get you there. Or skip the meth injection and run E85, that works too.
If you want more, drop CR to 10:1, put a M122HH on top and it will make 600+whp thru a stalled auto trans with good street manors. That's close to 750 crank hp from "only" 346 ci. Of course, turbos or bigger blowers will do even more.
7008ccGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lsx376 to a 427 stroker build, clearance question lo&sloSierra Generation IV Internal Engine 9 12-16-2010 03:07 PM
SPONSORS!!! I NEED Advice on my 427 NA build - Looking for 9's (Please Help) LT1Formula007 Generation IV Internal Engine 58 02-10-2010 10:54 PM
Which would you go with? An LS3 stroked to 427 or an LS7 azmusclecar Generation IV Internal Engine 10 01-13-2010 09:11 PM
Lsx 427 Chris'stransam Generation IV External Engine 10 03-17-2009 06:49 PM
Finally results from ETP’s LS7 style heads vmax1500 Generation IV Internal Engine 29 08-29-2006 02:01 PM


Tags
427, 70, build, cubic, engine, ls1, lsx, lt1, make, motor, sale, specs, stroked, stroker, stroking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.