Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to rent in-head flycutting tools.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to rent in-head flycutting tools.

Hey guys, I'm looking to rent flycutting tools that are usable for stock valves. not worried about the flycuts being bigger than the valves so PM me what you have and your price.

JD
Old 08-17-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lindy tool
1800-823-2887

rent or buy

thanks....
Old 08-17-2011, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

So you're saying that I can call Lindy and rent the tools?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be done with a stock valve and no other special tools. There's no special tools required to flycut...Just use your brain, haha.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
It can be done with a stock valve and no other special tools. There's no special tools required to flycut...Just use your brain, haha.
I realize that I can fabricate some jalopy of a device for this, I would just rather use a proven tool that is able to cut in 1/4 of the time with more precision.

Thanks though.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:00 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by jdaniels
I realize that I can fabricate some jalopy of a device for this, I would just rather use a proven tool that is able to cut in 1/4 of the time with more precision.

Thanks though.

I'm not sure why the term "jalopy" was used.

I can guarentee you using a stock valve for locating the flycut is about the most accurate possible way to dictate where and how deep to go with a flycut. But, I'm sure you are much more experienced than me, so i'll step aside with my jalopy devices and sit in the corner.

Good luck with it!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
I'm not sure why the term "jalopy" was used.

I can guarentee you using a stock valve for locating the flycut is about the most accurate possible way to dictate where and how deep to go with a flycut. But, I'm sure you are much more experienced than me, so i'll step aside with my jalopy devices and sit in the corner.

Good luck with it!
I like the word jalopy, that's all. Don't you need to radius the cut though? I was looking in the flycutting thread and people were rather quick to dismiss a stock valve turned into a flycutting tool. I'm sure you know what you're doing in this case, and honestly I don't so that's why I was looking for the tools that were made for the job. I'll try anything once though, so give me an idea of what you speak of if you could be so kind.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by jdaniels
I like the word jalopy, that's all. Don't you need to radius the cut though? I was looking in the flycutting thread and people were rather quick to dismiss a stock valve turned into a flycutting tool. I'm sure you know what you're doing in this case, and honestly I don't so that's why I was looking for the tools that were made for the job. I'll try anything once though, so give me an idea of what you speak of if you could be so kind.

It's a pretty simple process, just don't go in there hack-jobbing it and ramming the valve down in there. Let the sand-paper do it's work and don't force the cut. We use 40grit air-file paper on ours.

go back and clean up and loose metal and you are good to go. Make sure to get rid of your shavings in each cylinder really well.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, basically its a valve with "cutting" inserts built in (he will ask what valve sizes your running). Slide it through the guide from the chamber side...from the top of the guide measure your desired relief up the valve stem and tighten down the stop on the valve stem. Use a hand drill and "cut" the desired relief. Repeat 16 times....actully only 8 times, did exhaust and intake during the same "torque down".

Make sure you take all the nessacary procautions to prevent fod. And dont forget to add all of your "build up" into the math.

Iirc to rent it was like $75 bucks or buy for $200ish

thanks....

Last edited by LSOHOLIC; 08-17-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ee-almost.html

im sure you already saw this but just incase you missed it