Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear main seal help needed. Installed a new one = instant leak!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Rear main seal help needed. Installed a new one = instant leak!

Changed my clutch last week. Had an oil leak that was questionable from either the rear main seal or the oil sender. So...changed both.

In short, the NEW rear main seal is definetly leaking. About 1xdrop per hour after driving. Very upsetting, considering it's behind the #$%^ flywheel.

So, pulling the trans (again) tomorrow. Installing ANOTHER seal tomorrow.

Tips and techniques to make this the LAST rear main I install are very welcome. The one that's now leaking is a FelPro seal. Used the search and saw some peeps install these "backwards". I installed per the directions, so it wasn't "backwards". I pried the old seal out without damaging the rear cover, aligned the new one on the crank, and lightly tapped the new one into place with a soft hammer and socket extension. Lubed the outside of the seal with oil before install. The inner lip had a grease on it for the crank. Everything looked straight and no leaks...till I started the car.

So....did I do somethong wrong? Again tips and techniques appreciated. This is a real downer!

I'vwe thought of removing the entire rear cover this next time to install the seal. That leads to fear that THAT will also leak, since it has to be aligned to the oil pan......

BTW, I'm in the military and living in Germany, so running to Autozone to borrow a seal install tool, etc isn't an option for me!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure the center plug on the crank isn't leaking?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you clean the crank area where the seal rides in?
I did mine a few days ago fel pro seal too. i bottomed it out in the rear cover
and added form gasket to the outside of the seal where it touches the cover and
some on the oil pan. Was crossing my fingers too since you here these horror
stories.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh btw my leak wasnt the seal or oil unit afterall its the pvc y behind the intake.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A rear main seal cannot be put on backwards.....the bolts only line up one way.

Seal install tool...whats that?

We put a new tranny in my car last month..........so I decided to change my 9 year old rear main seal for the hell of it. I never did it before, so I replaced it while he prepped the tranny for install. Took like 5 minutes. I pulled all the bolts out, pulled the old seal off. Put the new one up there and put a bunch of gasket sealer stuff all over the bottom area. Then put the bolts back in. Then took the crank seal and slid it on with the little plastic ring on it. Tapped it a few times and it slid right on as the plastic ring got pushed off.
Done.

*****Only thing my tranny guy said before I tightened all the bolts......not too tight. He told me if you tighten them too much the gasket will leak. He's built a dozen LT1's and and rebuilt many LS1's........so I guess he knows.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rear main doesnt have bolts ls6427. Your thinking of the rear crank cover.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:53 PM

Not too tight? Lol this isn't an old cork gasket we are talking about.....

I'd also verify that the crank plug isn't leaking...
Old 08-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

There might be a groove in the crank where the seal rides. I've never done a rear main on an ls but this is a common problem on any motor. One piece of sand or whatever gets in there and makes a nice little groove in the crank. pita. They make a sleeve to fix it.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Appreciate the responses. I don't think it's the crank plug, as the leak got much worse after installing the new seal (before it was a drop per week, not a drop per hour). Will check either way though.

Sounds idiotproof. Guess I'll pull the cover this time, check the crank for grooves, install the new seal and cover seal, RTV the snot out of everything.... and then run it without the trans installed to see if it leaks to at least save pulling the tranny a 3rd time

Anymore tips or pointers are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

take pics !!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by parks450
Rear main doesnt have bolts ls6427. Your thinking of the rear crank cover.
Lots of bolts. 12 bolts to be exact.

CANNOT be put on backwards.

This is exactly what I ordered......Rear Main Seal kit. Felpro.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=447129

Old 08-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Unaffliated Racing
Not too tight? Lol this isn't an old cork gasket we are talking about.....
Well, I did what the MECHANIC told me to do who has done dozens of these. Its an absolute no-brainer job to replace those two seals. 12 bolts hold the seal in. Crank seal slides on effortlessly. I tightened the 12 bolts down with the air gun just till it was snug, then half turn each with the hand ratchet. Maybe 20 ft. lbs.

Mine isn't leaking after 1 month, not a drop.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As I said no bolts in the crank seal.....just the cover seal.......
Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As I said no bolts in the crank seal.....just the cover seal.......Their TWO different gaskets.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you put the crank seal on (the round one) permatex the outside of the seal where it sits in the cover just a thin layer and put it in evenly. Do not lube the inside of the seal where it slides on the crank. Make sure the round seal is facing correctly and not on backwards many people do this.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by parks450
As I said no bolts in the crank seal.....just the cover seal.......
So what is the seal with all the bolt holes called.......is that the rear main seal?

The crank seal we all know is just that round rubber seal.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
So what is the seal with all the bolt holes called.......is that the rear main seal?

The crank seal we all know is just that round rubber seal.

No, that's the rear cover. The rear main seal is what you are calling the crank seal. What I read a lot of people were doing was to put oil on the inside of the round seal. DONT. Also, they aren't cleaning the crank where the seal sits. That ALSO needs to be dry. From what I understand, there needs to be friction between the inside of the seal and the crank so that a thin teflon coating from the inside of the seal, can be rubbed onto the crank to create the seal. Any oil, and this can't happen. I would also put silicon between the outer part of the seal and the rear cover. extra insurance.

Another mistake I see people remove the white plastic thingy from the center thinking its there just to keep it round from GM after reading an article from GMHIGHTECH that incorrectly stated that exact thing. That plastic piece in the center is actually a TOOL to help you slide it on the crank perfectly. Like a reverse piston ring installer. And it certainly works fantastically well and makes it all much easier.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95ONE
No, that's the rear cover. The rear main seal is what you are calling the crank seal. What I read a lot of people were doing was to put oil on the inside of the round seal. DONT. Also, they aren't cleaning the crank where the seal sits. That ALSO needs to be dry. From what I understand, there needs to be friction between the inside of the seal and the crank so that a thin teflon coating from the inside of the seal, can be rubbed onto the crank to create the seal. Any oil, and this can't happen. I would also put silicon between the outer part of the seal and the rear cover. extra insurance.

Another mistake I see people remove the white plastic thingy from the center thinking its there just to keep it round from GM after reading an article from GMHIGHTECH that incorrectly stated that exact thing. That plastic piece in the center is actually a TOOL to help you slide it on the crank perfectly. Like a reverse piston ring installer. And it certainly works fantastically well and makes it all much easier.
Ok, that explains it....I think..... The crank seal = rear main seal.

So the gasket thing with the 12 bolts that fits onto the back of the block UNDER the rear cover......is called the rear cover seal?????

lol

Anyway....I accidentally knocked the plastic ring out of the crank seal when I grabbed it. It slid right back in. We didn't clean the crank or oil anything and all is good.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol I took the white ring out myself not knowing its a tool.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
A rear main seal cannot be put on backwards.....the bolts only line up one way.

Seal install tool...whats that?

We put a new tranny in my car last month..........so I decided to change my 9 year old rear main seal for the hell of it. I never did it before, so I replaced it while he prepped the tranny for install. Took like 5 minutes. I pulled all the bolts out, pulled the old seal off. Put the new one up there and put a bunch of gasket sealer stuff all over the bottom area. Then put the bolts back in. Then took the crank seal and slid it on with the little plastic ring on it. Tapped it a few times and it slid right on as the plastic ring got pushed off.
Done.

*****Only thing my tranny guy said before I tightened all the bolts......not too tight. He told me if you tighten them too much the gasket will leak. He's built a dozen LT1's and and rebuilt many LS1's........so I guess he knows.

Were you drinking when you typed this?

Quick Reply: Rear main seal help needed. Installed a new one = instant leak!