Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whistling noise after cam install??? ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistling noise after cam install??? ideas?

Just thought i'd throw this out there and see if anyone else has heard this same thing.. I just put a TSP V2 cam in my '02 A4 firehawk recently and also a new dbl roller timing chain and pushrods, 921 springs and melling oil pump.. Since installation i now can hear a faint whistling or whine coming from the intake or general area, almost sounds like a blower???? Ive just taken off the intake completely and put new gaskets and new vacuum lines on it and still hear the noise? Could it just be that now the intake is just taking in that much more air because of the cam and it makes that noise?? The timing chain is not making the noise, i very carefully checked it before and after for rubbing and or clearance issues and besides it is most definitely coming from the top of the motor somewhere.. It almost sounds cool but a little annoying at the same time... Any Ideas??? thanks....
Old 08-28-2011, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...m-install.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...c-install.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ing-noise.html

Last edited by Darkman; 08-28-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Your double roller is grinding away its own clearance into your timing cover, which you didn't clearance enough for the timing chain.

Ask me how I know this. Static clearance check isn't enough. The chain/sprockets will move outwards towards the cover during engine operation.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first fm13 that Futral installed sounded like I had a blower in the car.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Very good info, thanks!!! Im not too good at doing searches on these forums, never seems to come up with what im lookin for..lol
Im going to go try lookin at a couple suggested problematic culpirits...
Old 08-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Your double roller is grinding away its own clearance into your timing cover, which you didn't clearance enough for the timing chain.

Ask me how I know this. Static clearance check isn't enough. The chain/sprockets will move outwards towards the cover during engine operation.
I know that would be what i thought, but def. not it.. I clearanced the cover quite well and it would have ground its path by now and gone away... You can def. hear it from the top of the motor, intake area.. I have a couple ideas now after reading some old threads.. thanks for the suggestion..
Old 08-28-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you torque the intake bolts using the GM procedure and torque spec, or just wrench them down by feel? New intake gaskets or re-use the old stockers?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crainholio
Did you torque the intake bolts using the GM procedure and torque spec, or just wrench them down by feel? New intake gaskets or re-use the old stockers?
never pulled intake when doing cam install, but i did pull it afterwards and put new gaskets and fixed some problems behind intake as well as removed the air system, but still have noise? Also checked the IAC motor today seems clean... I dont know what to think, just live with it i guess until i can afford a FAST set up or something....
Old 08-29-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by suvettetexas
never pulled intake when doing cam install, but i did pull it afterwards and put new gaskets and fixed some problems behind intake as well as removed the air system, but still have noise? Also checked the IAC motor today seems clean... I dont know what to think, just live with it i guess until i can afford a FAST set up or something....
That's all great, but not what I asked..."Did you torque the intake bolts using the GM procedure and torque spec, or just wrench them down by feel?

The GM procedure is a 2-step process in a specific sequence, and manifolds don't crack or otherwise leak when they're tightened this way.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crainholio
That's all great, but not what I asked..."Did you torque the intake bolts using the GM procedure and torque spec, or just wrench them down by feel?

The GM procedure is a 2-step process in a specific sequence, and manifolds don't crack or otherwise leak when they're tightened this way.
You may have misunderstood me as well, the whistling started right after the cam install.. The intake was never pulled during install... I pulled the intake afterwards, a week later, to try and find problem.. No matter how i torqued down the intake it has no bearing on the noise issue, because it wasnt there before the cam and now it is, the intake was never moved until much later... there are others on here who also have the same noise and have never touched the intake... I hear what youre sayin, but unfortunately is not the cause..

Quick Reply: Whistling noise after cam install??? ideas?