Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rods hitting camshaft? Using LS3 rods... Help needed...

Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rods hitting camshaft? Using LS3 rods... Help needed...

Hi All,

I have an interesting situation. My builder is currently putting together my longblock and has come across a couple of items, I was curious if perhaps you could give me some insight:

Shortblock specs:
OEM LS6 block
AutoTec 3.903 pistons
OEM LS3 rods
Katech rod bolts
OEM polished crank
Comp Cam 228/230 114 LSA cam - off the shelf cam, nothing special.

So essentially, the title says it all - when he went to spin the shortblock, the rods hit the cam!?! Is there any logical explanation for this - my build is fairly simple, nothing over the top. I know the LS3 rods are beefier than the LS1 rods, but I didn't know by that much - my friend has the same build and his block spins just fine... is it an issue with the cam? He's going to see exactly how much it's hitting to see if it can be clearanced, but I want to see what insight do you have on it.

I've run that cam before in my old stock setup, so the cam itself has been proven true. But when he removed the cam from the shortblock, the engine turned just fine... Could he of installed something backwards? (I'm not too savvy with putting together engines, so I don't know if that was a dumb question...)

Thanks guys.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ummm different crank? That would be my guess.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Teching In

i had the same issue on my sbc 383. I just had to clearance the rods a little bit.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss1129
Ummm different crank? That would be my guess.
How so? You're saying I should be using a different crank?

Originally Posted by dubyah-es-six
i had the same issue on my sbc 383. I just had to clearance the rods a little bit.
Prior to making this thread, I noticed a lot of 383 SBC builds have had this issue, but I could not find a single LS1/Gen III engine coming across this issue - I also see that I am one of the few people using LS3 connecting rods in my build, so that might be why...

He said he's clearanced rods before, and depending on just how much needs to be taken out, it won't be a big issue, but if it's too much, we'll have to get different rods. But why? Is it because the rods are beefier? But why is it that my friend has the same setup as me, built by the same builder, and yet we're having clearancing issues? I would suspect the cam, but I believe he is running a GM road race hot cam, which I believe is a little bit more wild than my cam...

Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all I'm the friend with the same setup. I haven't run my engine yet, but it does turn over by hand just fine.

One difference is that I have a GMPP ASA cam.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the cam to crank centerline spacing is the same between both blocks and the fact that they both use the same stroke crank and the same rod length would lead me to believe there should not be a clearance issue here. Something seems wrong here but without seeing the issue first hand I couldn't tell you why.

FWIW, I have never had this issue with a gen III/IV block before.

Shane
Old 08-30-2011, 07:16 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Ive never run into this either! Have him take some pictures, something is fishy here...
Old 08-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Teching In

I just talked to the builder, and he is going to go through everything again, but it does not sound like the root cause was rod to cam interference. He is going to let us both know if it ends up being something that has to do with the LS3 rods.

I dont know how it could be the rods, given that the LS1 and 3 are nearly identical dimensionally aside from the bore, and that mine spins ok.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard of the #8 piston hitting the reluctor wheel on strokers, could it possibly be hitting on a stock stroke motor?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Timing chain not aligned correctly?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Well, my builder said that he figured it out - he tore it all down and he said it was something "stupid" - not something you really want to hear, but whatever, he said it's fixed. He won't tell me what it is, he said he has to show me in person... I'll keep you all updated once he tells me what happened in there.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Well that is decent news... not the best news but glad it is resolved!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

So I picked up the engine and all is well:

It seems that the bolts for the cam retainer plate go THROUGH the block, and if you use bolts that are too long, they will protrude INTO the area where the crank spins and will block the crank from making a full revolution - you will only be able to go 90 degrees in each direction before it stops. He used the wrong bolts... they were too long.

I'm just glad it wasn't anything major.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

That's great you found out what it was. That's kinda of an obscure problem. Good catch finding it.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:06 AM
Teching In

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

I bought an LS3 shortblock that was fresh from the machine shop and went to install and degree the cam, and after I got it in the thing wouldn't turn more than 180°. I had reused the cam retainer and ARP bolts from my LS1 and guess what -- they were too long. Guess they're different between the LS1 and 3?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rods hitting camshaft? Using LS3 rods... Help needed...