Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Studs/Bolts in General - Aircraft Grade?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Studs/Bolts in General - Aircraft Grade?

I was just looking around at general head studs and costs from standard felpro up to ARP's. While doing so, I was comparing tensile strength.

I'm not just relating this to Camaro's in general, but for my brother's powerstroke as well. Those head studs are ridiculously expensive at nearly $500.

So, I was looking around and talking to my father and have been in contact with some of his vendors/contractors. Some of which have aircraft-grade/military standard bolt assortments, which I believe to have a higher tensile strength and are available in the required sized. (just have to double check)

Anyway, they are a small fraction of the cost that ARP's/Katech's cost.

So, I'm just curious if anyone has gone this route before and what outcomes you've had as well as any potential downfalls to using them.

The way I see it is that if they're good enough to use on military aircraft and machinery, would they not be suited to use on vehicle motors so long as the sizes meet?

Last edited by Rauch; 09-05-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have no problem using aircraft grade bolts on many of the accessory and cover bolts, but those are pretty cheap to get ARP.

The ARP head studs are like M11 metric on the threads in to the block and then at the top are SAE threads. Also are 1 or 2 different lengths depending on the year of the block. Would most likely have to be custom made.. Probably expensive
Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Carefully read page 10 of the ARP Catalog: http://video.arp-bolts.com/catalog/ARPCatalog.pdf

Search this Thread