Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for cam bearing puller/installer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recommendations for cam bearing puller/installer?

I have been browsing several forums and there seems to be some makeshift ideas out there. I would rather buy a tool for this than to make one but I don't want to spend 100 bucks if I don't have to.

The hard part I am running into is that the specs aren't provided on the tools I have seen. I have seen several sbc 350 (so they advertise) tools that are supposed to work with a few small block sizes. Though, I see ls1 specific cam bearing tools that look exactly the same as a sbc cam bearing tool.

The ls1 specific tool seems to be around 80-100 dollars but the sbc 350 model is only 30-40.

Has anyone run into this and can provide me with the answer of yes/no the 350 installer will work? Also, if you don't know but have found a good solution that would be great as well.

Here is an example of the sbc 350 installer from AllStar:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL96470/

Here is an "LS1" installer:
http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc...24334/CSP10900
Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up getting the Lisle Universal Camshaft bearing installer from summit. They price matched tooldiscounter.com at 121 bucks. I like the idea of the expansion unit also because it would seem to be easier on the bearings than metal to metal contact.

Once I get it I will post up how the pull/install went for inquiring minds
Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I made mine , pretty simple and easy . I took 2 small pieces of oak and cut into circles 1 that just fits inside cam bearing , the other that is a little larger that fits inside cam bearing hole in block , then glued them together the drilled a hole through and put a washer on each flat end and a longer bolt and nut to help hold pieces together . I made a slide hammer that screws onto the bolt to pull old bearings , then to install new bearings I use a piece of round or square steel tubing over the bolt and a hammer and presto . Just make sure You are aware of the 3 different #'s on the bearings as the outer diameters are different depending on which bearing (front , 2nd, middle, 4th, or rear) . The middle 1 being the smallest , they do that so You can install them with the engine mostly assembled but I don't think You could remove or install the rear 2 with the engine in a vehicle .
Old 09-08-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The gen 1's and the LS1's are different size bearings so You'd have to fork out the bucks for either the LS1 inst or a universal kit that pretty much has sizes for just about any engine or make You're own for free . I think it took me about an hour and a half (I did alot of the sanding by hand) and being oak it is strong enough yet soft enough......

Quick Reply: Recommendations for cam bearing puller/installer?