Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with emissions cam...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with emissions cam...

I am looking for a good emissions cam, something that has a little bit of spread to to but no more than 226 @.050 on the exhaust side. I am going to be running shorties with stock cats and full catback so a little extra exhaust duration should be advantageous but I need it to pass emissions. I talked to a couple of vendors today including texas speed. I like their 224/228 but according to them it may not pass emissions. If it was just a sniffer with no visual than some longtubes with highflow cats than that 224r would probably do the trick but I don't want a single pattern cam with such a restrictive exhaust. Where can I find a cam and if there are no on the shelf grinds anywhere, where do you guys go for custom grinds that are drivable and do not have lobes that will take a set of springs to pound town in 20,000 miles
Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have PatrickG spec a cam for that application.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was searching around this forum looking for some info and saw another member who installed what I believe was a Patrick G cam in his car and had quite a bit of valvetrain noise which he said was not due to improper pushrod length. That made me kind of nervous about those particular ramp speeds but there are a lot of variables there outside of cam design. Does he offer different lobe profiles for different applications and does he have a website or some way to contact? Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Y no more than 226 ex duration? The cheatr might be what you want? Also look into ligenfelter cams. I went with a pat g spec 218/ 230 for California emissions legal cam. Did some other things aswell
Old 09-12-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

it seems that most of the things I have read on here said that any more than that and you are on the ragged edge of passing emissions and I do not want to toe that line. My last car was a smog legality nightmare and I do not want to run into those problems again. Passing smog was more of an afterthought and after getting the power that I got I did not want to choke it out with shorties and stock cats so instead I regretably sold it.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
I was searching around this forum looking for some info and saw another member who installed what I believe was a Patrick G cam in his car and had quite a bit of valvetrain noise which he said was not due to improper pushrod length. That made me kind of nervous about those particular ramp speeds but there are a lot of variables there outside of cam design. Does he offer different lobe profiles for different applications and does he have a website or some way to contact? Thanks
PatrickG specified my cam.

Because I wanted a cam that worked with stock exhaust manifolds as opposed to headers it is relatively mild (218/230, 600 lift) and is on EPS lobes. It was originally installed with stock heads and stock rockers with the usual supporting mods (push rods, timing chain, dual valve springs). Later I went to Trick Flow heads with different push rods, Jesel rockers and a FAST 102 intake (which is known to amplify valvertrain noise). Neither of these setups exhibit any significant valvertrain noise. So I have no reason to conclude that cams with EPS lobes are inherently noisy. They are known for being easy on other valve train components.

In any event PatrickG specs cams on other lobes and can be reached here:

http://www.guerragroup.com/motorsports.htm

Last edited by Darkman; 09-13-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Why shorties....might as well run stock 00-02 manifolds ...as long as u have cats u should pass w/the LT's
Old 09-13-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

How did your car run with that cam, I like the specs of it if it can pass the sniffer. I ran a 219/227 in my lt1 and really enjoyed it, I even stuck with it when I built the 383 and was even more impressed.

It is my understanding that if you move the cats from the factory location you will fail california visual inspection
Old 09-13-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is my understanding that if you move the cats from the factory location you will fail california visual inspection
This is true even if you still use the factory cat.

I am about to buy Thunder Racing's Tru Torque Level 2 cam. 223/230 .609/.604 115LSA. I spoke with...dang...I am blanking on his name, but he's the head engineer over there. I told him that I'm in CA, I have stock manifolds, I want to pass emissions and want to break 400whp, have a strong torque level and still have a lope(mods in sig). After discussing for a couple of minutes he highly suggested this cam. He also said that he obviously can't gurantee anything, but he's almost positive I'll still pass smog, and I'll definitely be able to break 400whp w/ and LS6 manifold.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

How did your car run with that cam, I like the specs of it if it can pass the sniffer. I ran a 219/227 in my lt1 and really enjoyed it, I even stuck with it when I built the 383 and was even more impressed.

My setup put down 407rwhp/393rwtq on a Mustang dyno. It is in CTS-V, which has 19+% parasitic driveline loss. I am running Random Tech cats, which retain the stock location. I do not know whether it would pass the CA smog test.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I am looking for a good emissions cam, something that has a little bit of spread to to but no more than 226 @.050 on the exhaust side. I am going to be running shorties with stock cats and full catback so a little extra exhaust duration should be advantageous but I need it to pass emissions. I talked to a couple of vendors today including texas speed. I like their 224/228 but according to them it may not pass emissions. If it was just a sniffer with no visual than some longtubes with highflow cats than that 224r would probably do the trick but I don't want a single pattern cam with such a restrictive exhaust. Where can I find a cam and if there are no on the shelf grinds anywhere, where do you guys go for custom grinds that are drivable and do not have lobes that will take a set of springs to pound town in 20,000 miles
218/226 .605/.585 114+2 LSA

-6* overlap, should pass with no issues.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

EPS has a 218/226 113lsa cam, the Truck Torque 2, with -4* overlap.
http://www.engpwrsys.com/index.php?a...od&productId=5

Quick Reply: Help with emissions cam...