Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling the engine how hard?

Old 03-07-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default pulling the engine how hard?

Well i think its time to refresh the engine, gettign to much blowby/oil in the combustion chamber, and i cant keep avoiding it. I about have the heads off, have the exhaust unbolted.
so what all do i have to do to get it out of their.
I have no lift so i cant drop it
dont you have to remove the radiator, heads then can you pull it out with a standard engine host?

also want to do a couple things i didnt do last time like main studs and maybe billit mains, whats your guys' opinion bout the billet mains?
engine only has about 8,000 miles should i replace the bearings?
Old 03-07-2004, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search...this was covered about 2 weeks ago. At any rate, I don't think the billet mains are necessary unless you are going to do something extreme. I would put new bearings in because of the fact of the labor involved to just get to them again...one of those might as well do it since you are in there.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

it'll be easier dropping the k-member, IMO
I pulled mine from the top, and its too time consuming, since the engine bay is so compacted

but if you do pull it from the top, you do have to remove the radiator, get all the belt accesories out the way or removed too. You dont have to remove the heads, but they do give a lil extra room when pulling out, considering cowl clearance. Also if your leaving the tranny/bellhousing in the car, with the heads out of the way, the top bellhousing bolts are a breeze to get off, especially if you have some racheting-wrenches
Old 03-08-2004, 06:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well the heads need to come off anyways.
im sure it would be easier to drop it instead of pull it but i dont have the right equipnent to drop it.

what would you consider extrem for the mains, i want this build to be able to take 800rwhp or more.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

I would go with the billet mains for that power level if it was my motor.

Guys argue both ways for which is easier to do when removing a motor. You can take it out the top pretty easily or out the bottom pretty easily. You do not need a lift to take it out the bottom though. Basically you unbolt the whole K-member and jack the car up and roll the motor/tranny assembly out. If you do a search there is a thread with pictures and pretty detailed instructions on taking it out the bottom by just jacking the car up and rolling the motor out.

I took my motor out of the bottom without dropping the k member. I did not have my engine hoist at the time because it was on back order, so it went out the bottom. When it is done it will be going back in through the top though. The only disadvantage I see with the whole k-member idea is that when you put it back in you have to get an alignment done.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

well i saw the billet main price and that was a big turn off almost $500
for some reason i thought it was half that.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Thunder Racing has them for $419...

Search this Thread