Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Tick?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Tick?

hey, I'm in the processes of fixing up a Jeep Grand Cherokee I picked up from my brother. I understand this isnt LS1 specific but Jeep forums stink and I always get good info here...
I got it cheap so figured if I have to throw and engine into it, I'll still be ahead but this is what I found when I got it:

I continued to pull the timing cover off to find some broken pieces of timing chain guides and some other items that would come new in a new Timing Chain Assembly Kit (OHC, 3 timing chains total)

The problem is a new timing chain assembly kit is $400 and the noise still sounds like its coming from the rear of the engine... also the gaskets kits to pull the head and timing cover and everything total $300! (To replace the engine would be ~1800)

Do you think just replacing the timing chains will solve the problem? Or what will?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

if the timing chain broke most likely some valves kissed the pistons and it bent/broke some pushrods aswell. In short, I highly doubt the timing chain fixes the ticking sound.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

the timing chains didnt break, only the guides and some other timing related components, the chains still look okay, just a little loose
Old 09-25-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IF the guide broke, then there was a chance of the timing being altered, which could cause issues with the pistons hitting valves, bending pushrods, I would definately inspect the valvetrain. You also have the high possibility of trash in the oil pan.

Is the noise coming from the top of the engine? I was working on a car once, that I swore had a bad lifter, TICK, Tick, tick, Ended up being an injector. Alot of things can cause the noise, sometimes isolating and locating the sound is harder than fixing it.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

it happens almost all the time, but some times goes away... noise is def coming from the top of the engine
Old 09-29-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

anyone else?