Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Generation III Internal Engine
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Generation III Internal Engine
1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by
Texas Speed & Performance

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 09-30-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5
Default 3 keyway adjustable crank gear ??? hmmm...

i want to adjust the timing on my cam. i have a pro gear 3 keyway adjustable crank sprocket. HOW DOES IT WORK??? i installed the crank sprocket so it would be dot to dot. now i would like to advance the cam, so do i have to take the crank gear off and put it in a differnt keyway? but if i do that it would not change the orientation of the cam. so do i just take the cam gear off rotate the crank till the 2* advance tooth is strait up then install the cam gear (6 o'clock) to the 2* advance tooth on the crank gear that is now at 12 o'clock? i hope this makes sense
3rdCoastPowerSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
KCS
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 17

You install the crank gear for a different keyway. Changing the cam timing changes the "orientation" of the cam in respect to TDC.
KCS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCS View Post
You install the crank gear for a different keyway. Changing the cam timing changes the "orientation" of the cam in respect to TDC.
makes sense to me.... just to make 100% clean,,, i rotate the crank to the desired advance and then line up the 0* dot on the cam gear @ 6:00. correct?
Old 09-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
KCS
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports View Post
makes sense to me.... just to make 100% clean,,, i rotate the crank to the desired advance and then line up the 0* dot on the cam gear @ 6:00. correct?
The crank gear should have an advance and a retard slot, probably for 2 degrees either way. Pull the gear and put it back on with the keyway in the slot that advances the cam (should say +2), and rotate the cam gear to line that up with the dot on the crank gear.
KCS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCS View Post
The crank gear should have an advance and a retard slot, probably for 2 degrees either way. Pull the gear and put it back on with the keyway in the slot that advances the cam (should say +2), and rotate the cam gear to line that up with the dot on the crank gear.
i pulled the crank gear off and moved the gear so the key way was going in the 4A slot on the face of the gear (its a 6 key way gear not 3). now which dot on the crank gear do i line up with the dot on the cam gear that is at 6 o'clock. do i use the dot to the left of the 4A on the key way or do i use the dot to the right of the 4A on the key way?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
adjustable, advance, cam, crank, degrees, gear, key, keyway, keyways, ls2, ls3, retarded, sprocket, sproket, wayed