Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder 6 Misfire, Coil(s) saying Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder 6 Misfire, Coil(s) saying Malfunction

Hey guys, I current own a 02 Ws6, with only MSD ingition wires, a Volant Intake and Super Comp Headers, I've had my bird for 3 years going on 4 and i got her with 72K miles, i now have 132K. I've never really had problems with it until now, I idle at like 700, i have a major loss of power and it boggs on me if i try to floor it from a stop, took it to get the codes read and it came out that I had a CYL 6 misfire, so I did all the basics, I got a new plug, E3, switched the wire and vise versa and it still misfired.. so i bought a new coil pack and it still misfires but no where near what it used to, i even seafoamed it to see if it would make a difference and nothing... any suggestions?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am assuming the code you have is a P0306. Misfires related to spark plugs, wires, and coils often do not throw any code. When a cylinder-specific misfire code is thrown the listed procedures are as follows:

•Perform a fuel injector balance test for all 8 cylinders. If a fuel injector concern exists, it is possible to misfuel an entire bank of the engine, causing multiple cylinders on the same bank to misfire even though the root cause is a single fuel injector.
•Inspect O2 sensor connections on the misfiring bank for corrosion or water intrusion. If water intrusion is found on the right bank, it may be due to the AC Evaporator Condensation dripping onto the O2 sensor harness. If this condition is found, reposition and shield the harness to prevent a repeat concern and repair the connections.
•Check for excessive exhaust backpressure using the restricted exhaust diagnosis.
•Swap the Position 1 O2 sensors side to side to see if the misfires move to the other bank of the engine. If so, replace the O2 sensor.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darkman
I am assuming the code you have is a P0306. Misfires related to spark plugs, wires, and coils often do not throw any code. When a cylinder-specific misfire code is thrown the listed procedures are as follows:

•Perform a fuel injector balance test for all 8 cylinders. If a fuel injector concern exists, it is possible to misfuel an entire bank of the engine, causing multiple cylinders on the same bank to misfire even though the root cause is a single fuel injector.
•Inspect O2 sensor connections on the misfiring bank for corrosion or water intrusion. If water intrusion is found on the right bank, it may be due to the AC Evaporator Condensation dripping onto the O2 sensor harness. If this condition is found, reposition and shield the harness to prevent a repeat concern and repair the connections.
•Check for excessive exhaust backpressure using the restricted exhaust diagnosis.
•Swap the Position 1 O2 sensors side to side to see if the misfires move to the other bank of the engine. If so, replace the O2 sensor.
Getting way to technical here man.

First thing is first. Make sure your mechanical is good. Check compression on all cylinders, get rid of those Junk spark plugs. Get some AC delcos they are good for 100k. Also, if u know anyone with a good scanner u will need to look at data and check fuel trim, MAF data. Long term fuel trim should not be more then 10+ or 10- ... Plus = lean, minus = rich. Zero is where u would ideally want to be. On MAF data just make sure that the grams go up as u accelerate, and at idle shouldn't go lower then 3 or 4. I'm leaning towards injector, MAF, or mechanical problem. An 02 would cause a miss on more then One cylinder.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, is it a constant miss? Like on idle, or as u increase to WOT? or just when u put a load to it? And forgot to mention.... Make sure u have power to the coils and pulse to the injectors from PMC
Old 10-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Well, I have all 4 new 02's i mean their like maybe 4 months old each, and it mainly happens and idle, it will go as low as like 600rpm or sometimes it will go as high as 1300 at idle, lets say from a dead stop, if i try to launch it or floor it, it will bog out like if it wants to die then out of nowhere my power returns, if i drive constantly fast its not as bad... you think i should get rid of the plugs?
Old 10-15-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i say try some new knock sensors
Old 10-15-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Superbird86
Well, I have all 4 new 02's i mean their like maybe 4 months old each, and it mainly happens and idle, it will go as low as like 600rpm or sometimes it will go as high as 1300 at idle, lets say from a dead stop, if i try to launch it or floor it, it will bog out like if it wants to die then out of nowhere my power returns, if i drive constantly fast its not as bad... you think i should get rid of the plugs?
Do you have a specific diagnostic trouble code number?
Old 10-15-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure get rid of them. I still dont Think the plugs are the problem but just a suggestion to get good plugs. Also, does it surge up and down or does it just stay high and then stay low? I'm leanning towards TPS. Anyone with a good scanner around u?u need to check some data.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

How hard do you drive the car? Very highly doubtful, but possibly a head gasket or microscopic crack in the block? A engine or radiator compression test will help determine what it may be.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Ok well, i did everything you guys just mentioned above, i did the compression test and it read 156 on the "misfire cylinder" and the average on the others was 159-160, so today i swapped out the injectors from 6 to 4 and the only code I got back was a "P0355" "Ignition coil E primary/secondary circuit malfunction" but it said nothing about a miss fire... and lately its staying put at idle, I don't drive the car toooooooooo hard but sometimes the itch gets the better of me... and i replaced the TPS sensor before... it was doing was its doing now and it read the code for the TPS, I changed it and it went away... and now its back but well yea i've done everything.. now i just don't know...
Old 10-18-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DTC P0355.pdf (157.7 KB, 594 views)

Quick Reply: Cylinder 6 Misfire, Coil(s) saying Malfunction