Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain failure on Labor Day, rebuild in progress STAY TUNED

Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing chain failure on Labor Day, rebuild in progress STAY TUNED

Well I hope this is the right place for the thread. I've been out of the loop so to speak for a long time. Haven't done much to report other then a bunch of unfilmed high speed stuff. I did however swap out the ported 92 fast and 95 mm tb for a ported 102 fast and a 102 mm Nick Williams TB when I stopped at Vengeance back in June.

Ok on to the good stuff. Its a fairly cool 62 degree morning, I let the car warm up a bit and baby her till we get to the express way. I ease into the throttle and hope the tires are warmed up enough, and lucky for me they are so I hit 3rd and stand on it. She's pulling like a bat outta hell ! I get off the throttle til I pass into safe speeding haven (LOL as if I have to worry) and once beyond the point of no return I get on it a bit, well a bunch. Im at 135 mph in 4th, hit 5th a little early and then floor it. Well 140, 145, Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Timing chain broke and gotta call a flat bed to tow me home. Missed my holiday pay but got paid holiday time for not working so its all good I guess.

Fast forward to getting the car out to D&D Performance (hope they are still a sponsor) and go to the back half where his son (a non sponsor, sorry Donny no mention its against the rules) runs the performance side of D&D under a different name. Long story short the engine comes out after its discovered the timing chain had busted and many other issues. After all was torn down there was a lot of carnage, however all repairable and more importantly reuseable.

Got with Ron at Vengeance and he call up Mike Schmidt at TEA to see what could be done. Heads shipped and Mike is working his magic. Top Secret, sorry. Will be back shortly, he said this week. Block went to machine shop Friday and all prep should be ready. Pistons are ordered or soon to be ordered from Diamond piston.

I'd like to note that this shortblock was built pretty well, but I beat the hell out of it and thus failure ocurred. So I won't be accusing anyone of any F*** ups but I will say there are several issues that are being addressed on the rebuild that wasn't addressed the first time around.

Donny is suggesting I spend the extra money on coated pistons and bearings and after his explanation it sounds like cheap insurance. Ron strongly agreed. Not sure what compression were going with. Signs of pre detonation were found. After discussing this with Ron at Vengeance he assures me the tune was spot on when I left and I agree. He did suggest we should've datalogged to see fuel pressure etc etc on a nice 60-200 pull in 5th. Need to no that the hotwired racetronic pump wasn't hicupping at all. I didn't feel any hesitation at any point in any of my runs, nor did I hear anything or ever get a code to read. So I'm not sure either. Maybe flow matching the injectors would be a good idea. When swapping intakes I don't recall the new injectors being flow matched like the others were.

So here is where we stand. The ls2 block is getting a few thousandths clean up align hone, and all required prep like deburring etc. The 4" callies crank is being turned and polished due to scoring on the journals detected. Due to smoked bearings. Rods will be resized. She's gonna be right when its time to put it together. Going to use studs this time vs head bolts and as previously mentioned coated diamond pistons vs uncoated mahle. Also coated bearings vs ls2 bearings.

Cam ??? Hmmm....do I want to have comp cut me an exact copy of my old cam (239/243 .623/.623 113+3) or go a bit bigger or possibly smaller? A new direction might even be considered. Will let you know when its all said and done.

Would like to thank D&D performance for all the help in this unexpected and untimely project. Thank god OVERTIME has been available. Donny really took a lot of time to explain my options and help me along the way. He didn't ever try to steer me in the most expensive direction, always the best direction.

Ron at Vengeance Racing for making some calls and getting people on board.

Mike Schmidt for working his magic on the heads with all those bent valves !!

I tell you when your baby goes boom its like losing a loved one. Can't wait to have her back.

Biggest thing I should mention is that MOBIL 1 is never going in my car again. Too much research to post here has prompted the change. Will provide info later.

Thanks for all comments, and its good to be back !!!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just curious what pulley were you running when the timing chain broke?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Pics of breakages...?

+1 on the pulley/damper.

Last edited by joecar; 10-19-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+2 on the damper

What's up with the Mobil-1?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
just curious what pulley were you running when the timing chain broke?
ASP ud pulley. Been in use since 2006.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5

There you have it Doug

Go ATI this time
Old 10-19-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

is there a life span on the ASP pulley? i mean besides obvious wobble.
How come i knew he was going to say ASP. damit
Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
i wish you would have just lied to me and told me another brand
Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What timing chain were you using, a double roller? ASP is not a real damper,too much harmonics. Have to disagree with you on the Mobil1 as my short block has well over (1000) 1/4 mile passes on it with Mobil1,but i change it often. Good luck to you with your new engine
Old 10-19-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
There you have it Doug

Go ATI this time
Well nothing was ever noted to be bad or irregular during the lifetime use of this dampner. No wobble indicated, no alignment issues so I fail to see the issue. At any rate I will address your concerns with Donnie and look at the need for replacement and I will consider ATI buddy.

Longtime no PM bro. Hope all is well with you and that nasty a4 403 !!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
What timing chain were you using, a double roller? ASP is not a real damper,too much harmonics. Have to disagree with you on the Mobil1 as my short block has well over (1000) 1/4 mile passes on it with Mobil1,but i change it often. Good luck to you with your new engine
I don't disagree with you sir, but considering what I do on runs to 200 mph I see a lot more time in the high rpm range on 1 run then you do in an entire day at the track. Sustained high rpms kill motors if you don't have an oil that can take the abuse. I too changed my oil quite regularly. I think stock ls2 bearings were part of the culprit. Coated bearings will be used this time and different oil will used as well. My builder has went above and beyond to explain why and I see his points.

I can't recall what timing chain was used but if I was gonna bet I would say they used an ls2 timing chain. C5R will be used on this rebuild.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it doesnt necessarily have anything to do with it wobbling. The factory and especially after market pulleys arent true dampeners for the crank and just so happens that ls engines have a certain rpm range where the harmonics of the engine will wreak havoc on a timing chain. If you do a lot of racing or have high hp an ATI pulley is recommended because it is a TRUE harmonic balancer and will get rid of the vibrations that destroy timing chains
Old 10-19-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will look into the ATI. Is it a 10% or 25% ud pulley?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by joecar
Pics of breakages...?

+1 on the pulley/damper.
Sorry, but I won't be posting any of the carnage. All I can say is that there was a little mess in a lot of places. A timing chain bolt was missing, one was backing out, and the guide was chewed up.

The TFS 215's are being made NEW by Mike Schmidt of TEA. Lots of bent/stuck valves. Valve job, new seals if needed, opted to run the 20 gram light ls3 intake valve. Mike says it should make a few more up top due to beter valve control in the higher rpms. I'm looking fwd to getting this thing back together, tuned, and then put up before the weather turns to ice, sleet and snow.

Please wish me luck that she's done. In a perfect world mother nature will be kind and allow me a day or two to drive the car before putting her in the garage for the winter. Am I asking too much.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey my preferred nephew,

Welcome back as if the circumstances are not optimum...it could be worse...

ATI all the way, you know I know, and paid for learning it...

About oil in your engine, if you have a doubt, email me as usual...did you get my email after Road Atlanta race?

Christian
Old 10-19-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Hey my preferred nephew,

Welcome back as if the circumstances are not optimum...it could be worse...

ATI all the way, you know I know, and paid for learning it...

About oil in your engine, if you have a doubt, email me as usual...did you get my email after Road Atlanta race?

Christian
Will do Uncle C ! Thanks for the push to look into the ATI, but now recalling your issues of old, I will be doing a swap it looks like. Will get a call to Ron asap.

I had an issue with the link you sent. Didn't work? Please re send Uncle C ! BTW How is your car doing?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I was the only one who seen a failure to mobil-1. What tipped you off? Bearing material in the filter? Or oil analysis? Any other problems with the yella terra rockers?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you for your information and im sorry about your loss. What state do you live in that you can make 200mph runs on the highway? Sounds like a great state to me
Old 10-20-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep no more Mobil1 for me. I've been using Valvoline VR1 20w50 now for around 4k miles and 2 years now. I'm also running an ASP pulley and many others have also. I just don't see that being the issue.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tillery
I thought I was the only one who seen a failure to mobil-1. What tipped you off? Bearing material in the filter? Or oil analysis? Any other problems with the yella terra rockers?
NEW Yella Terras survived the timing chain failure all but 1.

Never saw anything on the magnet the oil flows over when I drain it, and never saw anything in the filter when we cut it out but I could've missed something.

All Im gonna say about MOBIL 1 is that it is a great oil for pretty much anything, however for our super beefed up strokers there are a couple ingredients that are in other oils that aren't in MOBIL 1. Research shows that Redline and Royal Purple have much better crush strength etc etc. I'll leave it at that and decide what direction I want to go post engine break in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing chain failure on Labor Day, rebuild in progress STAY TUNED