These are going on a set of Dart 225's

Lunati Dual Valve Spring kit:
$210 free shipping
Tool Steel retainers

PRC EHT:
More expensive
Titanium retainers

Price difference of almost $150

Which one would be the best on a Futral F14 High Lift cam? Not a Daily Driver.

Just looking for people that have real world experience with either spring sets.

Last edited by TTA1437; 10-20-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-21-2011, 05:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm running the Lunati's and have been very pleased with them. My cam is a fairly aggressive lobe with a .615 lift. spinning in the mid/high 6ks in rpm.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the PRC .675 EHTs and they are awesome. I have a solid roller with .650 lift and heavy T&D shaft mounted rocker arms. Jason @ Texas Speed advised me on the installed height and I shift it at 7200rpms. No valve float problems at all. Also, these springs were hard to find on the shelf so they must be working pretty good.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the EHT springs. my cam has a lift of .617/.621 and i spin it to 6600rpm. mine are quiet as can be with my yella terra roller rockers. the EHT springs use a new silica technology that increase flexibility without compromising strength. i start my car in temps under freezing and still very quiet.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
the EHT springs use a new silica technology that increase flexibility without compromising strength.
You trying to take my job?

When you factor in the cost of a titanium retainer for the Lunati's, you'll see the PRC's are quite a bit more affordable! We've run some pretty crazy stuff with the EHT's and been very happy with them when they set setup properly. The ones we've seen broken have all been examined under a powerful microscope and you could see the coils hit together (lofting). This isn't coil bind in the true sense of the word where all coils are together, but rather from nasty lobes combines with heavy valvetrain components without shimming to get the extra pressure to control them. These springs when out of control are more delicate than the PRC .650's and our competitor's .650" springs. When they start lofting, they are brittle and they shatter.

Setup is the key, as you can tell by NXZ28's combo and results!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
You trying to take my job?

When you factor in the cost of a titanium retainer for the Lunati's, you'll see the PRC's are quite a bit more affordable! We've run some pretty crazy stuff with the EHT's and been very happy with them when they set setup properly. The ones we've seen broken have all been examined under a powerful microscope and you could see the coils hit together (lofting). This isn't coil bind in the true sense of the word where all coils are together, but rather from nasty lobes combines with heavy valvetrain components without shimming to get the extra pressure to control them. These springs when out of control are more delicate than the PRC .650's and our competitor's .650" springs. When they start lofting, they are brittle and they shatter.

Setup is the key, as you can tell by NXZ28's combo and results!
So you have seen eht springs break? And I thought you said these springs always install at the right height?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Explain more about shimming the springs.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

How much seat pressure at 1.800" ?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Matt can you please explain how to set this springs up properly? What should the installed height be and what seat pressure are we aiming for?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two sets of these

One dail driver .600 lift been perfect

other .660 7500 rpm no issues

The retainer design is light and Ti only saves a small amount.

Tim
Old 12-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to be running the Lunati setup no mine. I do not know the cam size yet, but Ed Curtis (Flowtech) is doing my valve job and cam spec. He said the Lunati springs are plenty for what I'll be doing. Like I said, I don't know the cam size yet. I'm sure it will be something along the lines of his Streetsweeper.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
So you have seen eht springs break? And I thought you said these springs always install at the right height?
We've seen literally EVERY spring in the aftermarket broken by improper setup. Our retainers are machined VERY consistently, and setup very consistently as well. The same cannot always be said about some of our competitor's retainers. Height is determined by the valve, valvejob, etc too. If the same valve is used on all intake or exhaust holes, and the valve job is cut to the same depth, there is no different machining on the spring pocket, etc then yes, ours will setup VERY consistently on height. As for what height that is, that depends on how much the machining of the head, how the end-user or machine shop shims the springs up, etc. That all has to be setup by whoever does the install.

Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO
Matt can you please explain how to set this springs up properly? What should the installed height be and what seat pressure are we aiming for?

Thanks!
Proper valvetrain setup is a variety of things, the easiest for the average Joe to check being proper swipe pattern and preload (in that order) and shimming springs to achieve desired height/pressure. These are all checked/verified with readily available and fairly inexpensive tools. The pressure you are shooting for depends on the components in the valvetrain (mass is what we're concerned with for the most part), lobe profile characteristics and ramp rates, etc.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have used 3 sets successfully but like matt says they are critical on setup i have been running them on two motors at 1.78 other engine 1.755 and no issues yet. I do believe though that these things still can break time to time, a 1.3 inch hi tensile spring will never be as reliable as a 1.6 endurance spring. A lot of the time the manufacturer blames the installer but its hard to get it wrong I think there rated pressures are more then enough so if they break it is valve weight or over rev or just quality. U cant expect to go to a hi tensile spring and expect it to last for ever. Point being never skimp on springs by the best they are cheap insurance and worth HP!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Year old thread brotha
Old 07-21-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Still relevant.....
Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I always find most threads are lacking quality info gotta keep going. start a new thread and ppl tell u to run search result reply to an old thread and guys say its old. unless u have something useful to come out your mouth then hot air. please dont reply. All I can say

Quick Reply: PRC EHT vs Lunati Extreme Gold