Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank snout custom ordering???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank snout custom ordering???

I'm building a 8-71 blown lq9. I was wondering if anybody has tried to order a crank with a longer snout. (like you could back in the day with the old Chrysler cranks in the BBCs). If so, where from and what information did they need? Any help would be great!
PS. The reason for the longer snout is because the lower cog is not going to be held onto the crank very far, and with the amount of stress in this small of an area i believe will cause a failure.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What crank are you wanting to run? IIRC, the LS7 has a longer snout on it. Also, Hit up the guys from Callies on here. They can probably machine just about any snout for you.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just have keyways cut into the crank and just run a ATI Supercharger balancer? Or something similar.

http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...s/damsuper.htm
Old 10-23-2011, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Cant run the ls7 crank. I need and 4.001 bore and 4.000 stroke. Im not boring the block any other than a hone...
Im going to contact ATI that seems to be a good avenue to look into. I was not fully decieded on running a blanacer/damper or just let the blower belt do the dampening...Thoughts on that?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Cranks fail because the stress of a SC belt is too far away from a main bearing support. The old school solution to this was to simply make them thicker like a BBC

The problem is LSx cranks are one thickness. LS7, LS9 are longer to make room for the dry sump pump, but the same thickness. No help

Rethink the pulley design or invest in a crank brace

FYI, belts do not dampen the bottom end vibrations. If you balance the parts close enough you wont need a balancer, but the extra mass is always helpful for SC's

For my setup I designed a custom hub to accept a stock LT1 neutral balancer, then used a universal SBC 10 rib pulley. The accessories are driven by a separate belt and the SC on its own 10 rib

Old 10-25-2011, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Pretty sweet setup. I have the ability to machine my own parts so that comes in handy. Your SC belt is quite small. What SC are you running? The belt I have is over 3" wide and uses and large lower cog to drive the SC belt. You can check out the kit on BDS website. Im using the LS1 drive kit...
Old 10-25-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Its a 10 rib which is ginormous for a serp belt

Cogs are different, you're definitely going to want the SC drive pulley as close to the timing cover as possible

There was a build recently using BDS stuff that ran a cog belt behind the waterpump and spaced all the accessories away from the engine to clear. It was 3" wide, but it got the job done and looked fantastic. Something to look into
Old 10-26-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Why don't you use a Procharger LSX cog drive kit.

Quick Reply: Crank snout custom ordering???