Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what all do I really need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what all do I really need?

ok so after trying save up for my 99, the vendors offer some nice deals on here around xmas time. unfortunately had to take care of some bills:/

my car been down for too.. long my goal was to save up for h/c pkg from tsp had my mind set on the prc stg1 with dual springs, torquer v2 combo of course rest of bolt on's.

well as of today I just want to drive my car lol over time I had bought the trunion oem-rocker upgrade pkg from TSP. bought pair of untouched 243's. I cant really afford to send them to TS for port job$750.

so I just plan on slapping all this back together: ls6 springs, 7.4 pushrods with truion upgrade, ARP head bolts, ls7 lifters, ls2 lifter trays some new valve seals and retainers. Im just doing this to get me by for bout 4-5months. not to sure which oil pump and timing chain to go with? which head gasket will I need? I would like to toss on a harmonic balancer, is that a bad idea? what else am I missing here? I noticed SDP has the cheapest prices more then likely I'll probaly end up buying all this from them unless some other vendor offers better deal or price match lol

Old 10-23-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I personally would go straight LS2 single OEM chain and a Melling 10295 high pressure pump. I would lean towards an SLP/Powerbond UD balancer if you are wanting to spend the $200 on that.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

anyone out there knows who sells ARP head bolt kit for a cheap price I remember reading somewhere on here pace performance had this kit for $104 yet I cant find a kit on there site. Im kinda sketchy buying off ebay

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I personally would go straight LS2 single OEM chain and a Melling 10295 high pressure pump. I would lean towards an SLP/Powerbond UD balancer if you are wanting to spend the $200 on that.
not to sure if these are the right parts..
so why that chain and that oil pump? is this more better for my limited time set up lol that UD balancer you mentioned was already listed.

http://sdparts.com/details/n-motion/sd7240

http://sdparts.com/details/melling-e...parts/mel10295

http://sdparts.com/details/powerbond.../kpbu1480-ss25
Old 10-23-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The good cosmetic head gaskets tend to be pricey, but I think they might be worth it in the long run. If you're on a budget just go with the regular ones. You also might want to roll the dice with regular head bolts and save some cash there. I didn't see what kind of cam you were looking at? Or are you keeping the stock cam?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by IRONFIST
The good cosmetic head gaskets tend to be pricey, but I think they might be worth it in the long run. If you're on a budget just go with the regular ones. You also might want to roll the dice with regular head bolts and save some cash there. I didn't see what kind of cam you were looking at? Or are you keeping the stock cam?
yeah I plan on keeping the stock cam (temporary just for a few months to get me by) yeah I might as well just used the regular ones. as for heads bolts Im going to pull the heads in the future for a port job.

Im just trying to figure out what all parts do I actually need to get my car running for now. any advice is much appreciated pls speak your experiences or opinions
Old 10-24-2011, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

I would either go with the stock head bolts and trash em or be sure to get studs. Gonna be a pain if the bottom end is still in the car though. To my knowledge unless someone corrects me I don't believe ARP head bolts are supposed to be reuseable. Least they aren't on Small Blocks
Old 10-24-2011, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

I don't have any reference for this but I thought the ARP head bolts are reusable. I'm re using mine.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SippiSpeedhawk
I don't have any reference for this but I thought the ARP head bolts are reusable. I'm re using mine.
They might be!!! don't make that decision based on me. Im just saying check. I didn't think anything but studs were. BUT Ive been wrong before!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:05 AM
On The Tree

I checked; they are reusable. All of ARP's stuff is. The gm ones aren't reusable because they are torque to yield.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

so you guys think I should be good on the parts thats listed above lol
Old 10-25-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Be careful that you clean the head bolt holes with the proper tool. Nothing worse then cracking a block because the hole had trash/coolant in it. I bought the ARP thread chaser for the head bolt holes and it works fantastic.