Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads warped .003-.005"

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:06 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads warped .003-.005"

Took my heads to a local machine shop to get them cleaned and checked out.

Here is what I took them in there for:

Engine overheated, had exhaust leaks that lead to fuel dumping, etc.
Ended up having a tiny crack all the way down cylinder #5. #1 & 3 pistons have a bad oil ring and there's dust sized metal all over the inside of the motor and valvetrain. And #4,6 & 8 have some deep scratchs.

The heads are patriot stage II 5.3. They said there was some slight warping of .003-.005", that could be fixed with milling them slightly. And some of the valves weren't closing all the way and could be fixed with a valve job. Probably due to all the carbon build-up/oil consumption is what I'm thinking or the machine shop's sorry a$$ cleaning job they did (kitler's in bossier,la). I thought they could at least clean the gunk off heads, anyways lol.

Can these heads have a valve job, milled and used safely? I don't know if I want to keep them or what as of yet, just wanna know if anybody else has had this happen or know of anybody. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Milling and a valve job should make them good as new, but..... the heights of the valve stems need to be identical or you'll need a different sized pushrod on each lifter. Make sure that the shop knows this and is able to do it.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, thanks for the info!
How much should I sell the heads for if I decide to sell them? I'm thinking at least $600ish...

Quick Reply: Heads warped .003-.005"