Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Generation III Internal Engine
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Generation III Internal Engine
1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by
Texas Speed & Performance

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2003, 01:49 AM   #1
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cedar Rapids,IA
Posts: 66
Default Crank pulley removal tip

Just a quick tip I haven't heard mentioned. I didn't have a longer crank bolt nor could I get the pulley off with the stock crank bolt. After throwing a few things around. I got to looking at the crank bolt. I fired up the bench grinder and ground off the collar around the head of the bolt so that it would fit through the center of the pulley. With out the collar the bolt could be screwed in. The puller pulls the pulley over the bolt. No more worries of damaging the threads because of having to screw the bolt out far enough to get the pulley off. You don't have to buy a longer bolt. A machine shop would probably grind that off also, if you didn't have a bench grinder. The things a guy has to come up with at midnight to keep working.

JAY
__________________
99 Z28 Conv. M6
BMR stuff, TEA S2 heads, XER 224 112, LS6 intake,SVO 42's,
SLP LT Headers/OR pipe and 2OTL
Lid, RAM VDS, Racetronics Fuel Pump,Koni/Strano
Few other things.
ToplessZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 02:02 AM   #2
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: in the air of course!
Posts: 148
Default Re: Crank pulley removal tip

<img border="0" title="" alt="[Big Grin]" src="gr_grin.gif" />

I just chucked it up in the lathe at work <img border="0" title="" alt="[Razz]" src="gr_images/icons/tongue.gif" />
Fly By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 03:07 AM   #3
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang
Garage is empty, add now
 
-Joseph-'s Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 12
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Texas and Qatar
Posts: 3,032
Default Re: Crank pulley removal tip

I bought a tool from Snap-On for like $80 that pulls the stock pulleys off far easier than the GM tool or the standard pullers did, its costs a little more online than I paid I see. Basically it has a long solid pushrod that it presses against instead of messing up the threads. I've probably done 20-30 pulleys with it with no signs of fatigue or wear.

Snap-on Puller
__________________
-Joseph- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 07:57 AM   #4
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now
 
Tin Indian's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,966
Default Re: Crank pulley removal tip

I wrote this during my cam instal. Hope it helps:
______________________________________________

Autozone has two different size gear pullers. Use the smaller size 3 jaw puller for the crank pulley. Also, you will need a longer crank bolt. The bolt you need is a 16mm / 2.0 thread pitch and 120mm in length (the head of this bolt is 24mm). This bolt can be purchased from NAPA as P/N 2801-225. Price is $5.39. Also purchase 2 washers P/N 8071-035B. Aditionally, if you don’t have a 24mm 6 point ˝” drive socket; go buy one. DON’T use a 12 point socket. It does not grab enough meat on the bolt head, and may round off the head as you are trying to remove the ‘Super Tight’ crank bolt.

If this happens; YOU WILL have more problems than you would ever want to deal with!!!

Sears sells this socket in a deep-well version made for an impact wrench. This is the best one to get. The impact socket is much stronger than a regular socket and will not distort.

On an A4 car, remove the 2 bolts that hold up the starter. Let the starter just hang by it’s wires. Put a steel pin such as a large allen wrench in one of the holes in the flex plate (flywheel). Turn the engine with your ˝ inch drive breaker bar attached to the 24mm ˝” drive socket until the engine stops turning do the to pin hitting up against the block. You will need about a 2 foot piece of pipe [and] your long ˝” drive breaker bar to loosen the pulley bolt. In fact, I had to use both feet to loosen the bolt!

Once the bolt breaks loose, install the puller. As you use the puller, you will need to unscrew the crank bolt when the pulley hits up against it. Keep doing this until there are not enough threads left on the stock bolt to pull the pulley all the way off. Then install your longer NAPA bolt and pull the pulley the rest of the way off.

You will also need this longer bolt to start pushing the pulley back on the crank during re-assembly. The stock bolt is just not long enough, and banging on the pulley to start it on the crank is NOT the answer.

Ron,
Tin Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #5
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Indian
I wrote this during my cam instal. Hope it helps:
______________________________________________

Autozone has two different size gear pullers. Use the smaller size 3 jaw puller for the crank pulley. Also, you will need a longer crank bolt. The bolt you need is a 16mm / 2.0 thread pitch and 120mm in length (the head of this bolt is 24mm). This bolt can be purchased from NAPA as P/N 2801-225. Price is $5.39. Also purchase 2 washers P/N 8071-035B. Aditionally, if you don’t have a 24mm 6 point ˝” drive socket; go buy one. DON’T use a 12 point socket. It does not grab enough meat on the bolt head, and may round off the head as you are trying to remove the ‘Super Tight’ crank bolt.

If this happens; YOU WILL have more problems than you would ever want to deal with!!!

Sears sells this socket in a deep-well version made for an impact wrench. This is the best one to get. The impact socket is much stronger than a regular socket and will not distort.

On an A4 car, remove the 2 bolts that hold up the starter. Let the starter just hang by it’s wires. Put a steel pin such as a large allen wrench in one of the holes in the flex plate (flywheel). Turn the engine with your ˝ inch drive breaker bar attached to the 24mm ˝” drive socket until the engine stops turning do the to pin hitting up against the block. You will need about a 2 foot piece of pipe [and] your long ˝” drive breaker bar to loosen the pulley bolt. In fact, I had to use both feet to loosen the bolt!

Once the bolt breaks loose, install the puller. As you use the puller, you will need to unscrew the crank bolt when the pulley hits up against it. Keep doing this until there are not enough threads left on the stock bolt to pull the pulley all the way off. Then install your longer NAPA bolt and pull the pulley the rest of the way off.

You will also need this longer bolt to start pushing the pulley back on the crank during re-assembly. The stock bolt is just not long enough, and banging on the pulley to start it on the crank is NOT the answer.

Ron,
Awesome, most informative thread/post I have found thus far! I'll be pulling that bastard off in a couple of days.
Somebody09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #6
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now
 
DWillTA's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Fairmont, WV
Posts: 299
Default

I did my cam install 2 weeks ago and had to use a Chrysler/Mitsu crank puller. Autozone has it as a loan a tool. I fought with atleast 3 different 3 jaw pullers for over 3 hrs and the Chrysler puller did the job in 10 mins.

Napa is about the only place to get the proper bolt. I forgot to get a washer and had to use a washer out of a ball joint press kit to reseat the pulley. Good luck

Dave
__________________
2000 Pewter NHRA Edition Formula M6
LT's, Duals, 9"w/4.30's
1981 Ford Fairmont
LS1 - T56 swap in progress
DWillTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:18 AM   #7
Moderator
Garage is empty, add now
 
davered00ss's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plainfield, CT
Posts: 10,519
Default

Awesome info. How much was the puller from auto Zone? I need one. Doing my cam next weekend. Just waiting for my Gasket set from Texas speed.
davered00ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
11.0 Moderator
Garage is empty, add now
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 14
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 3,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Indian
As you use the puller, you will need to unscrew the crank bolt when the pulley hits up against it. Keep doing this until there are not enough threads left on the stock bolt to pull the pulley all the way off. ,
Thats a good way to F up the first couple of threads in the crank. either grind the collar off the bolt like the first guy said (good idea, i never thought of that). Or what i do is i have a 2" spacer i put between the bolt and the crank so the threads never touch and the pulley comes off before it gets to the bolt head.
__________________
Red 98 SS 11.04@121.69 with bolt ons RIP, 03 Escalade ESV 12.5 @ 106, 11 SS 12.3 @ 114
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #9
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
ninobrn99's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 8
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Honolulu HI
Posts: 2,517
Send a message via AIM to ninobrn99
Default

the craftsman pulley puller is the best that i have seen! i also got the bolt from napa. great combo!
ninobrn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #10
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now
 
LS1-450's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 31
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Represent people, not Corporations
Posts: 3,313
Default

What are the methods for keeping an automatic 4L60E from turning with the crank? Is the only way by removing the starter & inserting the pin or are there other ways? Can the car be left in park or similar @ resist the removal of the crank bolt?
__________________
LSX MUNSTER (99-NB-MX5)...[1 of 1], LSX engine, GM Viper spec T56, Ford 8.8/3.90 rear; etc. In terms of aggravation, Carb>PCM

**NOTABLE PEOPLE**... Mr. Hutter (Ron), Hutter racing engines...Tony Mamo (AFR)... Patrick G... PREDATOR-Z

...Thanks LS1Tech...
LS1-450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
ninobrn99's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 8
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Honolulu HI
Posts: 2,517
Send a message via AIM to ninobrn99
Default

you need either a flywheel tool or to have someone jam a screwdriver in there so the motor doesnt turn.
ninobrn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 05:00 PM   #12
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now
 
DWillTA's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Fairmont, WV
Posts: 299
Default

I seen a magazine article in Chevy High Performance. When they build the LS7 engines they have an old valve they use to hold the flywheel. It is bent at a 90* angle. The valve seat is what holds the flywheel. It is inserted in an opening at the back of the block.

Our blocks may not have this opening. And hell it may not work even if it does, lol. Just an idea for the ingenious people.
__________________
2000 Pewter NHRA Edition Formula M6
LT's, Duals, 9"w/4.30's
1981 Ford Fairmont
LS1 - T56 swap in progress
DWillTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 05:32 PM   #13
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
DrkPhx's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 15
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: St. Michael, MN.
Posts: 4,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1-450
What are the methods for keeping an automatic 4L60E from turning with the crank? Is the only way by removing the starter & inserting the pin or are there other ways? Can the car be left in park or similar @ resist the removal of the crank bolt?
I use the specific Kentmoore tool which bolts in place of the starter and locks the flexplate positively. It's about $70, but will pay for itself after one use because it's works perfect.

For pulley removal, I use a standard gear puller with no problems. But I do have the ASP underdrive pulley which is alot easier to pull off compared to the stock pulley. The ease of installation and removal makes it worth the price alone.
__________________
06 Trailblazer AWD SS ---------13 Camaro ZL1 M6---
---- ---13.78/98.99-----------------535/513 rwhp/tq bone stock
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 11:08 PM   #14
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now
 
sleepersilverado's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 1,844
Default

i have so many old crank bolts laying around. one has the collar ground off. another has the threads ground off two sides of it to act like a tap to clean the crank out. a longer bolt to pull the pully on and another stock one to get the pully all the way on.
__________________
I can not spell !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny GTO
"Sorry, i must have been busy licking the windows of my shortbus when this setup was explained.

Now i get it. Yay for me!"
sleepersilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 01:37 AM   #15
BMW ///M Nerd
Garage is empty, add now
 
BAD ASS TA WS6's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NH
Posts: 4,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Joseph-
I bought a tool from Snap-On for like $80 that pulls the stock pulleys off far easier than the GM tool or the standard pullers did, its costs a little more online than I paid I see. Basically it has a long solid pushrod that it presses against instead of messing up the threads. I've probably done 20-30 pulleys with it with no signs of fatigue or wear.
Could you do me a favor and get me a part number for the puller you bought? Your link isn't working for me. I'll see if my Snap On guy can give me a deal.
__________________
[Insert Dollars]
BAD ASS TA WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:14 AM   #16
777
Moderator
2002 Pontiac Trans Am
 
777's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 21
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 6,695
Send a message via AIM to 777
Default

Wow, this is an old thread, March of 2003. At least people are using the search.
__________________
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:52 AM   #17
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777
Wow, this is an old thread, March of 2003. At least people are using the search.
Yeah I was hesitant on bringing this thread back from the dead... Methinks this site's search isn't as accurate as Google's --> "longer crank bolt" site:ls1tech.com
Is there a way the admin can incorporate a Google search into this site? If that costs money, forget it.
Somebody09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 12:10 PM   #18
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang
Garage is empty, add now
 
-Joseph-'s Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 12
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Texas and Qatar
Posts: 3,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ASS TA WS6
Could you do me a favor and get me a part number for the puller you bought? Your link isn't working for me. I'll see if my Snap On guy can give me a deal.
Its a YA9740B.
__________________
-Joseph- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:23 PM   #19
BMW ///M Nerd
Garage is empty, add now
 
BAD ASS TA WS6's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NH
Posts: 4,096
Default

Thanks so much!
__________________
[Insert Dollars]
BAD ASS TA WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:17 PM   #20
LS1 Tech Veteran
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wichita, Ks
Posts: 1,170
Default

I bought about a foot of 1 inch diameter aluminum bar stock at a scrap yard. Then I cut one section off that was about 2 inches in length and another about 3.5 inches in length. In the center of the end of each one, I drilled a 1/8" hole about 1/4" deep. I used that hole as a pilot hole and then drilled down a little with a 3/8" bit. This gave me a little countersink in the end of each bar to put the puller into. Then I used the short crank snout extension first and the longer one next. This didn't put any strain on the threads at all and it pulled the pulley off just fine. Now, this is the second cam swap that I have done on my engine. The first time I vowed to do it smarter the second time.

Steve
__________________
2000 K2500 Yukon XL, LQ4 Vortec 6000, Custom Comp Cam (200/206 109 LSA), Pro Magnum 1.75 Rockers, Ported Cast Iron Heads, Volant Induction, Commercial EFILive 7.x, PLX M-300, 30 PPH 8.1 L Injectors, Thorley Tri-Y Headers. See my Web Page at community.webshots.com/user/sbryant2100

408 in process - Callies DragonSlayer Crank, CompStar Rods, Wiseco -18 CC pistons, 215 cc Patriot Predator Heads
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:17 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Tags
2001, 235, 81, bolt, camaro, crank, liter, longer, ls1, pull, pulley, pully, removal, remove, remover


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details