Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with heads/cam install

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with heads/cam install

im doing my install within the next week..so im trying to prepare everything so that i can do the install without a hitch...are there any snags that are common that i should know about, and are there any specialty tools that i might need to make the job easier? thanks everyone
Old 03-10-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

1.) jmx's site
2.) air compressor or alot of paper towels for cleaning out all the coolant.
3.) Maybe a tub or two (gallon sized) for oil to use during assembly
4.) Tray organizers, or couple of cardboard boxes for parts arrangements.
5.) Patience and maybe a 12 pack.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:51 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
1.) jmx's site
2.) air compressor or alot of paper towels for cleaning out all the coolant.
3.) Maybe a tub or two (gallon sized) for oil to use during assembly
4.) Tray organizers, or couple of cardboard boxes for parts arrangements.
5.) Patience and maybe a 12 pack.
ditto. my best friend during my head install was my breaker bar, dont leave home without it
Old 03-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Launching!

ok so other than a three fingered puller for my lower pulley, i wont need anything special? thanks joey...i have read over jmx's site pretty closely, in fact im going to print the pages out and have them right there when i do my install. eveyone keeps talking about just lining up the dots on the cam..and then i hear people saying that the odds are i wont get the most out of it without using a degree wheel when i set the cam? is this true, or has everyone had good results just getting the dots lined up?
thanks everyone
Old 03-11-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

I put mine in last weekend. Lined it up dot to dot. Then cranked it over four times, checked alignment again. Turned motor four more times, checked rocker torque. Then four more times, checked dot alignment and torque on rockers, covers back on, now just waiting for parts
Old 03-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Launching!

ok...that sounds good everyone...unfortunately im waiting on parts myself..but im itching to get started. thanks for your help everyone
Old 03-12-2004, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by five0killr
im doing my install within the next week..so im trying to prepare everything so that i can do the install without a hitch...are there any snags that are common that i should know about, and are there any specialty tools that i might need to make the job easier? thanks everyone
One snag or real pin in the but is when you put back on the oil pump, the pick up tube is really tough. YOu will need to drop the oil pan down 3/4 of an inch to get to it so make sure you use some rtv back on the pan when you put it back up. Even though it has a reusable gasket it will leak if you don't.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

My manifold bolts kept snagging on the passenger side while removing so I used some masking tape on the bolts to keep them from falling back through the manifold. The cowl prevents you from removing them completely.

I busted three 8mm sockets on the rocker bolts, two of which were Crasftman. Luckily a 5/16" socket works as well if not better.

The only other notable snafu I had was removing the crank bolt. I installed an ASP pulley about a year ago and when I installed the new crank bolt, I thought a little thread locker would assure the bolt would never come loose. It worked WAY too well. 2 1/2' breaker bar and a 4' pipe barely got the bolt loose.

JMX's instructions are great and just follow along.