Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Oil Pressure Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Another Oil Pressure Thread

This issue has been ongoing for about two months.
The first time pressure was low (below 20 lbs), I smelled gas in the oil, possibly a result of WOT runs on a mailorder tune?? The oil & filter was changed, and all was well.
In the latest episode, all was well until pressure dropped noticibly as the car was being driven, first down below 20lbs, then straight to 6-8 before the engine was shut down.
I bought a new pump & was on my way to inspecting the o-ring when I saw some dark crud & a few metal flakes on the magnetic oil pan plug. I didn't think to inspect the filter before it was discarded.
There has never been pressure over 45lbs. This seems low compared to others.
In addition, there is the possibility that one or more injectors are leaking.
Does this look like a bearing(s) failure, or do I change the pump and hope for the fix?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a similar problem but my oil pressure is normal except for at high rpm under load where it drops. Everyone is stating its a bearing. I am pulling my motor this winter and having it gone thru at a machine shop.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

I've been watching your thread.
Another guy stated that his engine project is 'haunted'. I have to agree. Except for my own work, every part that can fail & leak, has...including replacement parts. I'm running in circles.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metal flakes is not a good sign I'll tell u that much. I don't think replacing the pump will help, pump isn't the one that creates oil pressure
Old 11-20-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

I was going over the timeline of this, and realized that the trouble began about the same time as the coordination of a mailorder tune & an upgrade to my injectors. Thinking back, fuel pressure would stay almost constant before the injectors were changed.
Now, after the engine is shut off, fuel pressure declines in an hour. This means that because there is no external leak, that the remaining gas in the rail is being deposited in one or more cylinders, then into the oil. In fact, the oil that was just emptied smells of gas. The next step is to extract the rail & injectors, prime the pump to build pressure, and check for leaking injector(s).
While there is evidence of metal in the oil, I'm going to inspect all of the caps/rods & go from there.
Meanwhile, I still plan on changing the oil pump to a Melling HV.

Last edited by gMAG; 11-20-2011 at 07:54 PM.