Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Problem with intial startup on new motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Help! Problem with intial startup on new motor?

Well, finally completed install of new motor, rebuilt due to timing chain breaking.

So I start it last night, I run it for a total of 15-20 seconds, 2 separate runs. Sounds like a NHRA dragster, open headers, HUGE cam. It was about 9:00, so I didn't want my neighbors to hate4 me so I didn't run it any longer.

This morning I run it for 2-3 seconds and I get a large backfire. Smoke is coming from around the motor, not sure if it's exhaust or intake.

The valve cover gaskets are blown out??? If anyone knows what could have happened, please help. After all this effort I'll be crushed if I toasted the motor.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you just start it and see what's up? 2-3 seconds is nothing. Either tear it apart or start it.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:01 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The smoke is probably just from installing everthing and it is just burning off oil residue ETC... The back fire could come from the open headers with out a being tuned for open header. It can and has done that on other vehicles I've worked on especially when you rev up a little with the big cam and all. The valve cover gaskets kinda tells me you are not getting enough vacum ETC... try some breathers on the motor and see if that keep the seals in place. Just a guess with out being there another thing is the oil out of the valve covers is probably getting on the headers also = smoke. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
Well, finally completed install of new motor, rebuilt due to timing chain breaking.

So I start it last night, I run it for a total of 15-20 seconds, 2 separate runs. Sounds like a NHRA dragster, open headers, HUGE cam. It was about 9:00, so I didn't want my neighbors to hate4 me so I didn't run it any longer.

This morning I run it for 2-3 seconds and I get a large backfire. Smoke is coming from around the motor, not sure if it's exhaust or intake.

The valve cover gaskets are blown out??? If anyone knows what could have happened, please help. After all this effort I'll be crushed if I toasted the motor.

Thanks
Bill, give me a call tomorrow... see if i can help you out