Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, crossthreaded rocker stud....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy OK, crossthreaded rocker stud....

Well my friend and I thrashed all Sat and Sunday and managed to swap an FMS F11 cam in and some Crane duals despite some spring troubles (I'll talk about that later & give props to those who came through for me). Well as I was installing the driver side rockers I somehow managed to crossthread the third rocker from the front slightly. At least it's not #8! It looked like about the first 3 threads were rolled slightly so I used the stud from the larry tool and we dremeled it into a tap by cutting two groves down the stud. Well we attempted to chase/tap the threads and were somewhat successfull but we now have the first half clean and it bites but the bottom half of the threads I guess are just slighly different/off. I stopped due to the time last night and am gonna pick up some real taps today. Should I pick up some heli coils or am i gonna be able to fix the threads? Give me some encouragement. There's nothing more sad than not hearing a nice lopey cam after two days of hard work.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you prolly should be ok using the tap. It only needs torq'in to like 22 ft/lbs or so.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:15 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would install a Helicoil. Basically run a drill down the hole very slowly. clean out the shavings, tap the hole, install the helicoil, punch the bottom of the coil out to lock it in place.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a tap and cleaned the threads up. It cleaned em up perfectly. Held nice and tight! Thanks for the advice guys.