Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I setting myself up for failure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I setting myself up for failure?

Am I setting myself up for failure on my Daily Driver?? Below is what I plan on doing:

Absolute Speed Stage II 5.3L Heads with 977 Springs and CompRs.

Rollermaster Timing Chain

Cam: 232/236 .595/.601 114+4

Shaner S2 TB

4.10 Gears

Dyno Tuned ..

The cam will be shipped to Jay at Absolute Speed so that he can put the correct length pushrods in with my setup since I am going with the 977s and Comp Rs .....

I'm still a little leary about this setup for my daily driver and only mode of transportation ....

What do you all think? Am I missing something that will give me more piece of mind?

Thanks,
Crowley
Old 03-15-2004, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

It's all relative to what you can live with. I love driving my car every day and never have any mechanical trouble out of it... BUT, there are several of my friends that swear I'm crazy for driving something that idles so rough and they laugh at me after work because I won't drive off until my car has "warmed up" for a few mins. Hell, I'm already making plans for a larger cam and a LSx intake. If you think you can live with it, GO for it.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gomer
It's all relative to what you can live with. I love driving my car every day and never have any mechanical trouble out of it... BUT, there are several of my friends that swear I'm crazy for driving something that idles so rough and they laugh at me after work because I won't drive off until my car has "warmed up" for a few mins. Hell, I'm already making plans for a larger cam and a LSx intake. If you think you can live with it, GO for it.
.. I'm not as much worried about a bit of a rough idle .. I know I'll have a good tune as well (Chris at RPM) ... I'm worried about the COMPR / 977 setup .... and NOT having adjustable rockers (Jay says not needed since he will be putting the correct Pushrods in) ..... but still I worry I don't know enough about valvetrain to know if I am setting myself up for engine failure ..

Crowley
Old 03-15-2004, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Crowley
.. I'm not as much worried about a bit of a rough idle .. I know I'll have a good tune as well (Chris at RPM) ... I'm worried about the COMPR / 977 setup .... and NOT having adjustable rockers (Jay says not needed since he will be putting the correct Pushrods in) ..... but still I worry I don't know enough about valvetrain to know if I am setting myself up for engine failure ..

Crowley
I can see where your concern is now... if it was me, I would have ran a stock diameter dual like the crane or Patriot Gold, shorter pushrods for the head milling, STOCK lifters, and some non adj rockers... that would be NO worries. Did you ask Jay about using the crane's or patriots over the 977's? TSP is running their Majic Stic cams with the stock diameter duals over 7,000rpm. The Comp R lifters just seem too damn "picky" for me.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Restricted User

I am running 977's, Comp R's with YT Rockers and I don't have any issues. I have a 236/240 XE-R cam. What problems are you worried about?

Gomer: Why do you feel the Comp R's are too picky?
Old 03-15-2004, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
I
I just think that getting the Comp R's 002-.004 preload without an adjustable rocker is a big pain, now with and adjustable rocker.. they wouldn't be picky. And I have yet to get a firm answer on the R's preload, their catalog says .002-.004, but I've searched the forum and have found .002 all the way to .035 My stockers have done well for 24,000 miles of aftermarket springs and cams, so when they die.. I'll just stick some more of those in it and do the ol' half a turn and if it goes too far, stick a shim under the rocker. Simple works for me
Old 03-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Only concern I would ahve would be the fuel economy. I have the 231/237 cam with pp stage 2 heads and my fuel milage has taken a nice hit.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Restricted User

Gomer thanks for the reply. I haven't had any problems but on the other hand I am not sure what issues I would have if I had too much preload. Car makes great power. With the YT rockers, I used the shims and went Zero lash + 1/4 turn and I was at 22ft# of torrque.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Gomer thanks for the reply. I haven't had any problems but on the other hand I am not sure what issues I would have if I had too much preload. Car makes great power. With the YT rockers, I used the shims and went Zero lash + 1/4 turn and I was at 22ft# of torrque.
I'm glad you posted that, because if you go by Comp's catalog.. you have too much preload. But obviously it isn't having an negative effect on your car, it makes great dyno numbers and lays down killer track times. I have called Comp's "tech line" and tried to get them to explain to me why you can't run more preload than they recommend, but they never gave me a good answer. If I read about two or three more people that have had good luck setting them up the "easy" way.. I'd be sold on them.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Launching!

I am running 977's, Comp R's with YT Rockers and I don't have any issues. I have a 236/240 XE-R cam. What problems are you worried about?

Since I don't know too much about the valvetrain .. I guess I am wondering what could happen since I dont' have adjustable rockers .. what could break if anything? I guess adjustable (or correct length) pushrods eliminates the need for adjustable rockers??

thanks,
Crowley