Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped valve seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dropped valve seat

thought everyone would like to hear this.after reading about Todds dropped valve seat,i took my pp stg 2 5.7 heads in to a local machinist to have a look at them before i put them on,just to give me some piece of mind.as he was looking them over,(the heads were fine)he said that his brother had dropped a valve seat in the motor on his truck.i asked him what kind and year,and he said a late 90's chevy.he said the heads were identical to mine but they were cast iron.(6.0l LQ4 i'm assuming)this was a BONE STOCK motor,and was not abused to his knowledge.i wanted to find out more,but he had to take care of another customer.i don't want to start another head bashing thread,just thought this might be of interest to everyone regardless what type of heads you might have,or even stock ones for that matter.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

huh this doesn't make sense, you took your PP's in and they were fine right? So a STOCK head dropped one?? Dang that sucks.

-Sly
Old 03-15-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slyws6
huh this doesn't make sense, you took your PP's in and they were fine right? So a STOCK head dropped one?? Dang that sucks.

-Sly
Stock headed cars also run 7.7x in the 1/8th.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol good one, I also have tranny and tuning problems I have to work out.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I know, just bustin' your ***** some.

Shawn
Old 03-15-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah it's cool, your not tellin me anything new I was kinda dissapointed too, but know there's a lot of room for improvement, it's like the car hits a wall up top, too much fuel and then the tranny not going into 3rd just bouncing off the revlimiter. lol see now I'm making up excuses, anyway not to get off topic. This may be good news for some PP head owners in a way. Just to show them that it more than likely wasn't their fault, just a factory defect.

-Sly
Old 03-15-2004, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

-Sly
yes,the heads were fine.a stock CAST IRON head dropped one.it was a truck motor.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seats coming out is not all that uncommon. Any person who deals with heads on a regular basis should be able to tell you a couple of stories about it. Sometimes it just happens to the wrong people at the wrong time.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Seats coming out is not all that uncommon. Any person who deals with heads on a regular basis should be able to tell you a couple of stories about it. Sometimes it just happens to the wrong people at the wrong time.
i agree.when you are talking about mass production,things like that are bound to happen from time to time.that's basically the point i was trying to get across.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

...from a legal perspective, it really does not matter if the dropped valve resulted from a factory defect or a defect casued by the vendor who ported and polished the aftermarket heads. Since the buyer paid the vendor consideration for the heads it is assumed they should have been free of material defects and, therefore, the vendor is on the hook for all damages to the short block, labor, replacement heads, rent-a-car costs, reimbursement of legal fees etc....

This concept is the same that would apply to GM if it purchased defective brakes from a non-GM vendor and sold new cars to others for valid consideration which assumes the cars and their brakes are free of material defects. GM is on the hook and the fact that its vendor goofed is not a defense...
Old 03-15-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
...from a legal perspective, it really does not matter if the dropped valve resulted from a factory defect or a defect casued by the vendor who ported and polished the aftermarket heads. Since the buyer paid the vendor consideration for the heads it is assumed they should have been free of material defects and, therefore, the vendor is on the hook for all damages to the short block, labor, replacement heads, rent-a-car costs, reimbursement of legal fees etc....
That's incorrect. Go read any aftermarket automotive vendors warranty. They DO NOT cover ANY damages occuring to ANY part of the vehicle other that the PART they made. i.e. K&N warranties their air filter and the housing it comes in. If for some reason the K&N imploded and you sucked all that into your motor and ruined they are NOT liable for those damages, period. If this were true (what you're saying) then all the aftermarket companies would be out of business due to nimrods installing things incorrectly and causing damage.

This concept is the same that would apply to GM if it purchased defective brakes from a non-GM vendor and sold new cars to others for valid consideration which assumes the cars and their brakes are free of material defects. GM is on the hook and the fact that its vendor goofed is not a defense...
The OEM manufacturers, i.e. Ford, Chevy, etc, ARE responsible for any and all damages occured (for the most part) to the vehicle due to a defective OEM part and its consquent damages to the remainder of the vehicle *Assuming it's still under warranty*. After the warranty, you're SOL (in near every case unless it's a recall type of situation).
Old 03-15-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

You cannot compare a hugh company like GM to an aftermarket performance company like the ones listed to the right. And because a company like GM does things like that, everyone takes advatage of them more too.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess personally I'm just trying to point out just as 66Deuce did that the dropped valve seat we all heard about from a PP 5.7L head was more than likely just a factory defect. Just so people don't think that the quality of their product sucks because of a dropped seat that hadn't been touched.

-Sly
Old 03-15-2004, 08:20 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Wherever your getting your info from, change it! Your both WRONG.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess personally I'm just trying to point out just as 66Deuce did that the dropped valve seat we all heard about from a PP 5.7L head was more than likely just a factory defect. Just so people don't think that the quality of their product sucks because of a dropped seat that hadn't been touched.

-Sly
This is true and probably where this conversasion should end.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Wherever your getting your info from, change it! Your both WRONG.
I'm not wrong, my info is correct and verifiable if need be Robert is wrong though, no doubt.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

You no why everything cost so dam much in this country its the fact that some people like some in this thread are ready to sue at the drop of a hat. you cant have a conversation today with out somebody bringing in the legal
department.MAYBE I WILL SUE MY NEIGBORE THIS SUMMER BECAUSE HIS ANTS CAME IN MY YARD AND BIT MY SON.yea i need money for my new engine thats how i will get it. Give me a break.Sometimes **** happens live with it.

Last edited by ROGERSPERF.; 03-15-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
I'm not wrong, my info is correct and verifiable if need be Robert is wrong though, no doubt.
And also so wrong are all the people who keep insisting that a seat that has had a 5 angle valve job done to it is untouched.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ROGERSPERF.
MAYBE I WILL SUE MY NEIGBORE THIS SUMMER BECAUSE HIS ANTS CAME IN MY YARD AND BIT MY SON.yea i need money for my new engine thats how i will get it. Give me a break.Sometimes **** happens live with it.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The iron heads have no seats to drop if I'm not mistaken? Maybe this other guy was crazy ?

Quick Reply: dropped valve seat