Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383 Stroker crank installed in stock low mileage LS1 shortblock...waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 Stroker crank installed in stock low mileage LS1 shortblock...waste of money?

Was trolling through Craigslist and found someone giving up on their sandrail project and has a low mileage LS1 shortblock and stroker crank. He was intending on stroking it to a 383 and installing forged pistons/rods but is giving up due to financial problems.

He is selling both the shortblock and crank for a very good price and I am curious if it's worth the time and cost to install the crank or would the power gains not be big enough without boring it out and increasing the displacement? The car is a daily driver and would be going under fully worked over 5.3 heads and matching cam.

I am just looking for a bit more power and shortblock with less miles on it then what I currently have.

Last edited by Black Jacks; 01-06-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im not sure if 5.3 heads would be sufficient to hande a big bore 383...the 383 would make numbers comparable to an ls3 which is ONLY a 376 lol...you could run a cam with lots of duration on a 383...the real money spent would be in all the little stuff like bearings and rings and pistons...i would probably run stg 2.5 ls6 heads if it were me, a 383 would probably like the bigger ports and valves
Old 01-06-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look up 383 ls1 stroker on youtube. You can make well over 500hp with a 383 and they have great torque down low.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

re-worked 5.3 heads do great with a 383, and you will have gobs of torque down low.

http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/engin...ild/index.html
Old 01-07-2012, 01:55 PM

The heads have been CNC'd 64cc and maxed out valves on intake and exhaust and running a 239/241 cam with 114 LSA. He has the shortblock, the crank, a set of rod bearings and ARP studs so I guess is it possible to just install the crank with factory rods and pistons or would that be a bad idea?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a 383 here with the prc stage 2.5 5.3 heads,, plus all the goodies, car dynoed at 490, I believe the engine would like better heads, but I had these already. They get the job done.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Jacks
The heads have been CNC'd 64cc and maxed out valves on intake and exhaust and running a 239/241 cam with 114 LSA. He has the shortblock, the crank, a set of rod bearings and ARP studs so I guess is it possible to just install the crank with factory rods and pistons or would that be a bad idea?
If you question is about using a 4" stroker crank with factory rods and pistons, then NO you can not do this. If you tried to install it, the pistons would hit the heads and never turn over. You need shorter rods, and/or shorter pistons to compensate for the increased stroke.

You first need to know your deck height, this is the linear dimension from the deck surface to the centerline of the main bores. Then calculate how long the connecting rod and piston comp height need to be to get the piston where you want it at TDC. This will have a major impact on your quench dimension, compression ratio, and any PTV issues. Do the math and get it right. good luck!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

so if i am reading this right

i have a 383 build in the process
i can use my 5.3 heads from the truck engine that came with the engine
any other altering i need to do to the combustion chamber to make them work

dave
Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemkerailroad
so if i am reading this right

i have a 383 build in the process
i can use my 5.3 heads from the truck engine that came with the engine
any other altering i need to do to the combustion chamber to make them work

dave
No.. you need different pistons with the wrist pin located in a different spot. (higher) for it to work. - Custom pistons. And a custom rod to go with that. So add about $1100-up for that to work if it doesn't already come with that stuff. Probably the reason he is selling it in the first place. He's just now figuring this out.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I am curious if it's worth the time and cost to install the crank or would the power gains not be big enough without boring it out and increasing the displacement
When you increase the stroke, you are already increasing the displacement. By signifincantly more than boring the cylinders.

Thus, a stroker crank (with the correct rods and pistons) will get you a noticeable amount of power, much more than a simple hone/bore job. Now will a bigger bore get you more power? Sure, but you're overestimating the amount of power a few cubic inches will get you from a bigger bore.

Quick Reply: 383 Stroker crank installed in stock low mileage LS1 shortblock...waste of money?