Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls6 noise problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls6 noise problem

Hey I'm looking for some help. I searched the forum but came up with nothing, I bought a brand new ls6 off my local dealer. I installed a fast intake, 38lbs injectors, changed over my oil pan and pick up tube. Relocated my knock sensors to side of motor left and right. Also changed my timing gear to work with ls7 wiring harness. my tune is already set up for all the upgrades from my old motor.

So my problem I'm having is a very loud ticking noise it comes and goes it picks up from left side then to right. Sometimes you shut the motor down and wait 10 seconds and it's completely gone runs as quite as a sewing machine, but then it comes back. It's very strange it has me pulling my hair out.

Has anyone have had problems with after market oil coolers causing bad return oil. It was the one i used on my old motor. I just installed it on the ls6.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think it has something to do with the reposition of the knock sensors? Why did u reposition?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:16 AM

One knock sensor is on left side of motor next to motor mount. Same with the other one just on right side. Will that cause the motor to tick ? I had brought it down to Golen engine and he said it was lifter or a bad rocker. I pulled both vavle cover to find nothing out of place. But because the noise comes and goes and sometimes goes away for long time, I don't think it's a mechanical problem.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Does the ticking keep pace with the revs? Maybe those new injectors are loud. Leaking exhaust manifold? A high ratio rocker arm can tap the valve cover but yours are stock, right?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Ticking keeps Pace but goes away then comes back. Exhaust leak would always be there or quite down after warm up. Yes they are stock. I used a stethoscope and injectors seem to be the loudest but I used this injectors on my old ls7 and it never made any noise.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Did you happen to nick the o-ring on the oil pick up tube? I've seen them act like that and the o-ring was the problem. I would double check it, it's a pita but worth a look.

Congrats on the new ls6. They are highly underated. I love mine. Check the sig for what a full bol-on one can do.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

i know the motor is new but maybee the lifters may be stuck alittle
Old 01-27-2012, 12:29 PM

My next thing is to pull motor and then pan ad see about pick up tube and o ring. I know there is three different o rings. Does anyone have the part number. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Had a couple more question before I pull the motor. Oil pressure my old ls7 went from 38 psi at idle and would climb at higher rpm. The new ls6 stays at 38 and only goes up to 39 to 40 and won't climb any higher. I'm trying to pin point my problem. Im pushing more towards a oil circulation problem. Any one deal with this.
Thanks for the help...
Old 01-29-2012, 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

That sypetom tells me it is for sure the oring seal. That is exactly how they act.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 AM

I pulled the motor, pulled pan and found a sloppy oring. I had Golen engine swap the pan and pick up tube. Not sure why he wouldnt have caught on to that. But one more question oring which one to use. I stuffed the ls6 into a 07 Tahoe. Which I used the Tahoe pan plus pick up tube. Do I use the oring for a 5.3 pick up tube or a ls6.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you check the Push Rod lenght ?.. are the Rockers centered on the Valve stem/top ? What does the pattern look like ?

Was it a long block, what heads/valves ?.. what lenght were the PR's ?

BC