Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condensation in motor (LS6) were is it coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Condensation in motor (LS6) were is it coming from?

I put a catch can set up on my motor with two 10a lines from valve covers to the catch. When i pulled the valve covers i noticed some milky oil around the oil filler neck were there aftermarket breather was installed. I figured it was just because it was so near open atmosphere from the screen filter breather some condesation just collected there.

Then after 40-50 miles of driving with some racing mixed in i pulled the catch can to check it and it had about 6-8oz of straiggt water in the can?no oil like i woulda guessed.just water. Smelled a little like gas and oil but was abosultely mostly water.

Next thing was i just pulled the timing cover off today to tap it for a oil return AN fitting for the turbo crap and my timing cover was coated with oil mixed water. Looked like buttery wax and was creamy lol nothing on block.crank oil pump etc.
By the way the water droplets are clear and not green. And i run 100% antifreeze so i know its not coolant

there is no oil in antifreeze and oil in pan looks like brand new. I been inside a bunch of LS1's and never even seen this?? Were the hell is it coming from? There car is on the rich side at 12.1afr at crusing and idle. But not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty normal, especially if you take lots of short drives
Old 01-30-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

alum block holds a bunch of water it in when it is cold. As you heat it the water will collect.

Best thing to do it run it hard to get the oil temps up and it will get the water out.

In the summer is it not as big of a issue but in the winter it is bad.

My wifes VW is really bad in the winter but nothing in the summer.

Tim
Old 01-30-2012, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wel thats nice to hear. I assumed it might of been normal as its been really rainey and cold and the car has seen alot of short trips and pulling it in and out of the garage lately. Thanks for the replys!