Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this bare block any good? Odd discoloration in honed bores...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Is this bare block any good? Odd discoloration in honed bores...

I bought this bare block and crank a few weeks back with the hopes of using it for a rebuild. I was told it was honed and everything measured out to spec and was ready for a rebuild. Upon getting it home I could see this discoloration and one of the bores where it was worse there seems to be a slightly raised portion I can feel with my finger.

The guy that sold me the block told me that he had bent a rod. I have a feeling that maybe the bore wall has a small crack and that I might have to get it sleeved. I'd just like to put some pics up to get some advice. I know I am still going to have to it spec'd out by whomever builds it. This is more for peace of mind until I can afford to carry it up there. Thanks in advance -

Old 02-01-2012, 11:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

no offense but those walls dont look too good.......he hone it with a chainsaw?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Jez it looks like it was repaired or something. If you can feel it with your finger thats definitely not good IMO, especially if it's raised.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Teching In

He said he had it taken to a shop, measured out to spec and honed and was ready for a rebuild. He said he would send the numbers later and when it came to it he couldn't find them. I trusted him plus it was dark and cold when we met to exchange though common sense says to look for this type of thing but I didn't.

I am also curious what would cause this type of damage. I mean if I got fucked out of my money on the block I'd hate to spend more money getting it tested just to find out the crank is bent or the block is useless...
Old 02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you can actually feel any change in the surface of the bore, the piston won't be very happy in there.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Pretty much what I was thinking. I am curious how this happened and know what else I need to look out for.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Teching In

plus it seems to be on all of the bores to some degree, but bad on one in particular which I can feel with my finger...
Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dltreezan
Pretty much what I was thinking. I am curious how this happened and know what else I need to look out for.

Rods usually bend and break at high rpms so if he bent a rod, you can imagine the type of force that would be exerted on the cylinder wall when the bent rod wants to go out sideways instead of up.

Know what I mean?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Totally understand, so why the discoloration? It looks burnt in the shape of the shadow of the intake valve...
Old 02-01-2012, 01:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

idk if its just the picture but that cylinder hone job looks aweful.....also i think i see scratches vertically up and down the bores.......tough to tell not in person but id have a machine shop look at that block before i did anything with it....
heres what my bores looked like after machining along with all the others ive done.....now obv mines an LT motor not an LS but its still the same wall material basically....(ignore the green color its just Total Seal quickseat compound..)

like i said id have yours checked
Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I'd have a shop look at it and give you their opinion on it.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Discoloration is the shape of what water would look like, if allowed to sit in a block with pistons in it. I'd say the engine blew a head gasket, or was allowed to sit for a while with water in it.

Last edited by salemetro; 02-01-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by salemetro
Discoloration is the shape of what water would look like, if allowed to sit in a block with pistons in it. I'd say the engine blew a head gasket, or was allowed to sit for a while with water in it.
That's what it looks like to me too. It looks like it had water standing in the cylinder for a while.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's fairly cheap insurance to have it magnafluxed. I bet they can check all 8 holes for less than $100 or that one bore for about $25....it that's your only concern. If you feel a raised portion, it's probably time to bore it.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep Yep ...thats sure what it looks like...water has been standing in those cylinders with the pistons installed.

Also looks like someone tried to learn on that block how to do a engine hone....with a wire wheel attached to a drill!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Judging by how many cylinders are rust marked (that's what those marks are)....and the fact that the seller said he spun a rod (I'm guessing that you didn't get rods with the block)....I'd say that either;

A) Someone sucked a bunch of water in through the intake while the engine was running....bending rods.

B) The shortblock was left sitting out in the rain for a bit

C) The engine got hotter than hell, and blew headgaskets...filling the cylinders with coolant

Either one ya choose, it's not a good thing. If it were me, I'd have the block thoroughly checked out...then have it bored .005 to clean it up. If .005 won't do the job, look for a different block..... or have it sleeved.

Just my $.02

-James-

Quick Reply: Is this bare block any good? Odd discoloration in honed bores...