Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please tell me there is a way!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please tell me there is a way!!

Well, the first time I had the rear main replaced was at a shop.....it still leaked. So I finally got the time to take the time to assess the problem myself. I removed the tranny last week in search of the leak, and low and behold, it was the rear main again. So further investigation lead me to "2" marks on the end of the crankshaft. I tried to (burnish, rub, smooth) those marks out with some 60 grit. I did get those grooves out for the most part. I mean, what else is there, right? Wrong!!! Installed a new seal and thought my problems where over. Wrong!! It still leaks. My question is...is there a "special seal or something that will cover those marks and make a "fresh" surface? I will do whatever is necessary to fix this leak (besides sell it). Kind of hard to explain, but hope this helps. Thanks in advance all!!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know the dealership uses a special alignment tool that alignes the whole rear cover ( and thus the rear main seal) with the center of the crank. maybe that's where your problem is??
Old 03-18-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, it sounds like you may be curling the lip of the seal as you install the cover.

There is a tool that we use which is really nothing more than a piece of plastic that slides over the end of the crank. It allows for you to slide the rear cover on and bolt it into place though without any leaks and perfect alignment.

I'd look at the seal first and see if you are curling the lip of the thing. Good Luck!!