Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tax Return

Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tax Return

Hey guys, Im planning on going with a cam swap with what I get back from my tax return. Ive done alot of reading about what to all to get and how to install, etc. etc. but i would just feel better having a little reassurance from everyone that Im doing it right. Im an aviation airframe and powerplant mechanic so Im not afraid to dive in head first. The car is an 01 M6 with 30,000 on a new LS1, BBK longtubes, 3" duals out the back, and an SLP lid. Its DD put on about 20k a year...for now....Im just looking for something that still has fairly decent street manners, but with as much power as possible. I know, who isnt, right?

Heres what Im thinking:

TSP 233/239 on 112LSA
ARP Harmonic Balancer bolt
LS6 ported intake
LS2 Timing chain
PAC 1518 Springs

In the future Id like to swap out to 4:10s and throw some new heads on, but thats probably next years return

Can you guys give me some advice if Ive got a good plan here or not??
Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have that cam unofficially "for sale" if you decide to go with it. New in box. I decided to go a different route.

I was told it was a bit aggressive for a daily driver project like mine shooting for low end torque over high end horsepower, but otherwise a great cam.

I don't think the type of balancer bolt you use matters does it? You just have to use a new one because they're torque to yield.

I've heard the ls6 intake porting isn't worth the money, but an ls6 intake is an improvement over an ls1.

I have the ls2 timing chain, good cheap replacement.

Springs.. not familiar but as long as they're dual springs and have the right lift should be fine.

Couple things to add, and you probably already know this but.. new crank seal, new timing cover seal, maybe swap the oil pump while you're in there? (I went with a ported ls6 from tsp) and new water pump gaskets. Basically any gasket you take off I'd replace.

In an M6 car that 233/239 cam will do the trick for you I'm sure.

edit.. with 30k on the clock.. oil pump may not be necessary..
Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 AM
formerly lamborado (1-12-2012)

6.0 already hve waiting, direct port nitrous on the way, hopefully my taxes deposit today, if so im gonna try to get some 823 heads off a guy on here if he pm's me back hahaha and a vic jr with 90mm elbow and tb. hopefully i can get it in the rig next week.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Launching!

In my opinion, that cam is too big for stock heads and stock rear gears.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

That cam is fine for stock heads. It may restrict a little bit of power over using some ported 243s or something but it'll be fine with. This is the cam I am going to be buying and after speaking with the guys over at Texas Speed id feel comfortable using it with stock heads(even though I am using some poorted 243s)
Old 02-10-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't mean to ***** in your thread but if yall decide you want this cam lemme know. I have that exact cam.. TSP 233/239 112 lsa 3 bolt new in box, sitting in my parts pile.

IMO tho.. even if it's not IDEAL for your stock heads, if it'll still give you a nice power jump you can roll with that for a while, then do your head swap when you're ready.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Teching In

I actually meant a LS6 ported oil pump, not intake. I'm just thinking long term here with the cam. I'd rather not buy a smaller cam then go bigger when I get new heads next year. I'll send you a PM about the cam you've got.

Search this Thread