Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Comp LS1

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Comp LS1

Ok guys need a bit of help about to pull the plug on my new build. Here is what I am looking for. The car is not a daily driver and I plan on road racing it. Not looking to go up in displacement and want to stay true to the ls1. I have a stock ls1 block that is getting done at a local shop. The heads that I am going with are either the ls6 stage 2 livernois heads or a ported and polished set of 243’s. Question is what pistons to get that would work best with my setup. I will try to drop some sort of max effort cam (thinking about the ms3) and I am willing to take some input on this topic as well. So basically need advice as two what pistons I should go with. The finished product I am looking for is a high compression ls1 with a large cam. If anybody road races their fbody and has setup something similar please chime in.Do not plan to spray the car n/a is the way I want to go.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mill the heads and flycut the pistons
Old 02-12-2012, 04:17 AM
Teching In

Does it matter what type of pistons I get?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run and love the forged Mahle pistons....Weisco make top quality pistons too.

What type of fuel are you going to be running?

Forget about static compression and look at dynamic compression and cranking psi since this is going to be a max effort build.

Domed pistons have, do and will work to raise your compression, but this puts more pressure out towards the ring lands, so if you can raise you compression and run a flat top, or even better a slight dish with valve reliefs this will keep more pressure directed towards the center of the piston....you can and will want to mill your heads and maybe even go with a thinner gasket to optimise your quench down to around .035"-.030" (.030" is pushing close).....if this doesn't get you where you want to be you can get your chambers welded shut and have then cnc cut back to where you want and need them.

Be careful milling too much off the heads because you can run into intake fitment if too much is milled off.
Main thing is you will want good forged pistons and if you can get some good forged H beam rods.
Hope I helped!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Teching In

That helps a ton, the heads are going to be done by AI and they seem like a decent shop so there shouldn’t be any issues. The only question I got left is should I try to go with a bigger cam than the 230/238 AI offers. Like I stated it going to be strictly a track car. What do you guys think
Old 02-12-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Have Pat G spec you a custom cam for your setup