Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get a new cam if I go with PRC heads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should I get a new cam if I go with PRC heads?

I currently have a 06 lq9 in my 00 Z28. Ported LS6 intake, 85mm MAF and full bolt ons. Car currently makes 415 RWHP through an auto and 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. I have an EPS 230/242 .600/.605 113 cam in it now. It runs strong, but its time to do some heads and try to get down to low 11's.

I am most likely going to go with the PRC 227 heads. I am not sure if I should bother to replace my current cam and go with a TSP cam or just leave it how it is? I am sure I could pick up a few HP if I went bigger on the cam, but how much is the question???

I drive the car quite a bit in the summer and right now it has good drivability. Currently have the yank SS 3600 converter. Could probably go up to a SS4000 or get mine stalled a bit higher.

So, what do you guys think??? From what i can tell, I should pick up ~40 rwhp going with new heads over the stock 317s on there now.

Thanks
Brad
Old 02-21-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am also interested in hearing what you guys think for this. Anyone out there done this or seen gains from similar combos?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Imo keep the cam you have add the heads send your ss3600 back to yank and have it restalled to a ss4000 and assumming you hook low 11's should be easy!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your doing your own tuning do the cam later, if your paying a few hundred dollars for a tune do the cam at the same time....call PRC and give them your cam specs. It their heads, so they should know what will work best with them....either way you should love it!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

My buddy will dyno tune it for me, so not concerned about the tune. When I put the heads on, I will be dropping the motor, trans and front k-member. I have a 2 post lift, so its faster for me to do it that way.... can have it all out in ~1.5-2 hrs. Makes it easy to pull the converter and have it re-stalled too.

Since the motor is out, it would be relatively easy to do the cam swap. Just not sure if there is much more to be gained over what i have now??? Not sue how much bigger i can go and still have good drivability. I shift at 6800 now and really don't want to go too much higher either.
thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes 2 post lifts are nice when you own a F body ! I know..

I assume the prc 227's are a Cathedral port head ? Yet your cam looks like something for L92's > ls3 heads with the wide split.

+ 1 on asking PRC and see what they say, but a 230/242 is plenty big for a 6.0
Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ i was thinking the same thing. a duration split that large is usually something I see spec'd for the L92's and LS3 heads. Idk, what your budget is, but getting the a set of L92's and having them worked might give you real good results. My dad has the PRC 227's on his 434 small block and although its pretty much an entirely different motor, you will probably want to spin the motor past 6800 rpms with those heads...I believe he spins his to 8200-8400 and yes he does have a bigger cam. If you need to get a tune from a pro, for the amount you spend you might want to have the heads and cam spec'd together all at once so you don't have to do 2 separate tunes...
Old 02-22-2012, 11:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Nice chatting with you earlier! Let me know when you're ready

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Nice chatting with you earlier! Let me know when you're ready
thanks Matt. You obviously know your stuff and were able to answer my questions and give me exactly the info I needed. As soon as I get my funds squared away, I will be placing my order in the next week or so for some PRC 227 heads with you guys!

Thanks
Brad
Old 02-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the prc227 heads are bad ***, i would keep your cam in there, honest there are other changes i would make before the cam, im pretty sure tsp can set up the 227s for your cam, i know they can set it up for the ms4 so i dont see why they couldnt do it for yours, what are you running for an intake,what is your suspension /tire set up
Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
i think the prc227 heads are bad ***, i would keep your cam in there, honest there are other changes i would make before the cam, im pretty sure tsp can set up the 227s for your cam, i know they can set it up for the ms4 so i dont see why they couldnt do it for yours, what are you running for an intake,what is your suspension /tire set up
Running Cartek ported LS6 intake, ported stock tb, 85mm MAF, FLP long tubes, 2.5" y with flowmaster merg to 4" mufflex out the back. Tires are 26x11 ET Streets and will have GTO spares up front. Car dead hooks with 1.63 60' and pulls left front about 4" off the ground with heavy 17x9.5 konig monsoon wheels with 275 tires. I have stock SS springs with single adjustable Qa1 front and rear. Tubular front k-member and upper and lowers, UMI adj tq arm and roto/poly LCAs. So, suspension wise, i am good to go. Just need more power!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

I never thought about using the GTO spares!

Another thing you might try going after you are fully tuned is pull the MAF and try running in speed density mode....I've been running MAFless for 3+ years now and like it a lot better on a canned car than running a MAF
Old 02-22-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

They were only 1# heavier than my 15x3.5 prostars with radial tires.

Ya, I know there are a bunch of people that say this is dangerous, ..... On my mid 11 sec car, I have no issues. These tires are actually rated higher than the ET streets in the back, so they will be just fine. Plus, they are only at high speed for a couple seconds. One thing you have to consider is that the hub ID is .5mm too small, so you either have to enlarge the hum id on the wheel or run a wheel spacer or adapter. I elected to run 1.5" billet alum wheel adapters. this pushed the wheel out farther so it looked decent. Yes, puts extra load on the hub bearings, but again, I don't run them on the street. Reason I switched is that my prostars would not clear my C5 brakes and if i pushed them out farther, the wheels would stuff into the fenders. I found quite a few GTO and vette guys going this route. I also belive there is now a 17" front runner tire available, but can't remember who makes it..
Old 02-22-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

To throw another kink into the mix...... A used ls3 intake, aftermarket 90 TB, set of 8 ls3 rockers, and a pair of TSP LS3 ported heads comes out to less $$$ than a set of PRC 227 heads.

So comparing the two combos Ported LS6 intake with 227 to LS3 intake and ported LS3 heads..... What would make more power????

From what I have read in the past, I thought the Ported LS6 flowed better than a LS3 intake? Also, the 227 heads flow less on the intake side, but more on the exhaust side... how does that translate to power?

Decisions, decisions.......
Old 02-22-2012, 03:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by MBC Racing
To throw another kink into the mix...... A used ls3 intake, aftermarket 90 TB, set of 8 ls3 rockers, and a pair of TSP LS3 ported heads comes out to less $$$ than a set of PRC 227 heads.

So comparing the two combos Ported LS6 intake with 227 to LS3 intake and ported LS3 heads..... What would make more power????

From what I have read in the past, I thought the Ported LS6 flowed better than a LS3 intake? Also, the 227 heads flow less on the intake side, but more on the exhaust side... how does that translate to power?

Decisions, decisions.......
Used PRC LS3 heads, maybe. If you option out a new set of the GM castings ported by PRC with a good valve and dual spring kit, you're in close to $1900 (stainless solid valve, not even a hollow stem). You'd have to be getting a KILLER deal on the intake, TB, fuel rails, etc to make that work out less expensive.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1179-pr...ted-heads.aspx

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 02-22-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Matt,
I know when we talked that you said I might sacrifice some mid range with ls3. (if I remember correctly)

So, you are saying for my combo, I would have to go with the $1900 PRC LS3 and not the $1329 version?
thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 03:31 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

You can do with the $1329 version, but they won't have a spring kit or good valves in there. For your application where we wanted to improve all the way idle up to redline, I feel the cathedral port 227cc head will do better. We'll sacrifice a few peak Hp, but we'll gain that all back in bottom end and mid-range torque.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Tread jack!!! It's a shame the Edelbrock proflo xt is way too tall for you f-body guys, but Matt, have guys seen any dyno results for the proflo as far as compared to the ls6 and FAST intakes? I'm running a ported proflo on my 408 and absolutely love it but have never had the GTO on a dyno.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
You can do with the $1329 version, but they won't have a spring kit or good valves in there. For your application where we wanted to improve all the way idle up to redline, I feel the cathedral port 227cc head will do better. We'll sacrifice a few peak Hp, but we'll gain that all back in bottom end and mid-range torque.
Matt,
Since the car is an auto and has a 3600 stall, how much will the mid range really affect my 1/4 mile, or wil it just affect drivability? Right now when hammered, the data log shows the car dropping down to a lowest point of 5000 rpm on a shift. Since the motor would be out, and seeing as I can sell my current cam, It would not be much more $$$ for me to upgrade to a bigger one. The car is not a DD, but not a dedicated race car either. Just a toy that gets maybe 3k miles or so a year. So, I guess, if i didn't have the current cam I have, what would you recommend for me? I do want to make sure I can cruise down the highway with no issues.

6.0L lq9
PRC 227 heads (soon to be ordered)
Ported LS6 intake
1.75 long tubes w/o cats
FLT Level 4 with SS3600 converter
12 bolt with 3.73 gears
Race weight 3800#'s

Expected HP with your recommended combo? Thanks
Brad
Old 02-25-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i think i would keep the cam and get the prc's, they're really good flowing heads for the money

Quick Reply: Should I get a new cam if I go with PRC heads?