Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lingenfelter GT1 Cam Update... Useful tip...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lingenfelter GT1 Cam Update... Useful tip...

I Had a Lingenfelter GT1 cam installed (229/242/114)(.631/.631) on factory heads and valves with a comp cams .650 lift spring kit. Lingenfelter advises not to use stock heads and or flycut your pistons to allow for PTV (piston to valve clearance). well after my mechanic at SS Performance Group in tallahassee fl made some calls it was founded that it will fit very very closely on the PTV.They hand turned the motor to check for obvious PTV issues and found none. First start up was today was she purred like a champ. no surging no bucking and NO valve tapping or bending. idle was set to 900 rpm for the initial start up but will be lowered when tuned later today. I could not be more happier. Nice aggrerssive idle and expected 40+ HP gain over stock. Ill have the dyno sheets of before and after and a dyno vid later today that i will post up. hope this helps anyone curious about this cam.

NOTE: My mechanic asked me numerous times if I would like to remove the heads and properly check the PTV clearance. I advised him not to solely on lingenfelters answers that it would clear if installed straight up meaning dot to dot straight up and down and even.

Next on the list is a set of PRC 227 heads fully CNC ported from texas speed, an LSXR 102mm intake manifold ported w matching throttle body and MAF sensor. 1 7/8 stainless steel hedders probably kooks, hooker, or american racing. stainless steel X pipe and duals dumped at the rear axle.

Todays install included the cam and valve springs,comp 7.4 pushrods, b&m ripper shifter, tick performance master cylinder and updated gm slave cylinder. complete fluid change front to back.

NOTE 2: Found out my TA has the 241 Heads. Manufacture date is 04/2000. Those heads were more comonly found on 01 and 02 models
Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 Camaro has 241 heads too...241's are standard.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Banned

what month was it built.. some of the 00 but mainly the 98-99 had different heads. 2000 is when the 241's were phased in.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't miss a shift
Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Don't miss a shift
For real!!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Guys, calm down. He checked the PTV clearance..... Its not like he went against the advice of a major vendor who specifically said not to use the cam without flycutting or anything

If its good by turning the motor over by hand and at idle it MUST be good for over reving and possible valve float.

In all seriousness, if you have a MAJOR vendor like LPE tell you not to do something with one of their products, its probably for a good reason..... I would have most deff have let your mechanic remove the head to check for proper clearance! But if youve got enough money to burn do what you want.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Banned

lol everything turned out perfect. no valve issues. I went against what was advised because after calling LPE they said it would be fine if installed straight up.. despite what the web page says. In over all Im very pleased. I went from 331 HP at the wheels to 393 HP at the wheels at 6200 rpm and still on the rise but we brought the rev limiter down to help prevent atleast some damage. Now given this was on a mustang dyno. from what im told they run about 5% lower in power then if I were to run on a dynojet dyno. I'm posting my before and after dyno sheets and also the comparrison between them. A 60+ HP gain is just "WHOA" in my book from just swapping the cam. I took a video of a 6100 rpm pull while tuning and ill post that too.

Despite what any of you may think or say this swap was researched extensively before making the decision. on the other hand myself nor the shop mechanics thought it would make that much power and continue to rise if we allowed the rev limiter to be pushed.

Video: http://youtu.be/fNNFD578pik

Pics:

baseline

final

Compare

LOL any questions??

Last edited by dw2000ta; 02-22-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sman
Guys, calm down. He checked the PTV clearance..... Its not like he went against the advice of a major vendor who specifically said not to use the cam without flycutting or anything

If its good by turning the motor over by hand and at idle it MUST be good for over reving and possible valve float.

In all seriousness, if you have a MAJOR vendor like LPE tell you not to do something with one of their products, its probably for a good reason..... I would have most deff have let your mechanic remove the head to check for proper clearance! But if youve got enough money to burn do what you want.
I'm not saying he was wrong for not pulling the heads (If I called LPE and they told me it was fine, I would have done the same thing)...but the PTV is obviously going to be really tight and really close, so if the motor gets over revved, then it is almost guaranteed that a valve will kiss a piston.

OP: That is a nice pick up with the cam, especially on a mustang dyno.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
I'm not saying he was wrong for not pulling the heads (If I called LPE and they told me it was fine, I would have done the same thing)...but the PTV is obviously going to be really tight and really close, so if the motor gets over revved, then it is almost guaranteed that a valve will kiss a piston.

OP: That is a nice pick up with the cam, especially on a mustang dyno.
I guess some people have deep enough pockets to allow for mistakes. I would never take that risk... No on intentionally misses a shift, it just happens, and so will the resulting damage.

I would have flycut, but to each his own I guess....
Old 02-25-2012, 08:29 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dw2000ta
I Had a Lingenfelter GT1 cam installed (229/242/114)(.631/.631) on factory heads and valves with a comp cams .650 lift spring kit. Lingenfelter advises not to use stock heads and or flycut your pistons to allow for PTV (piston to valve clearance). well after my mechanic at SS Performance Group in tallahassee fl made some calls it was founded that it will fit very very closely on the PTV.They hand turned the motor to check for obvious PTV issues and found none. First start up was today was she purred like a champ. no surging no bucking and NO valve tapping or bending. idle was set to 900 rpm for the initial start up but will be lowered when tuned later today. I could not be more happier. Nice aggrerssive idle and expected 40+ HP gain over stock. Ill have the dyno sheets of before and after and a dyno vid later today that i will post up. hope this helps anyone curious about this cam.

NOTE: My mechanic asked me numerous times if I would like to remove the heads and properly check the PTV clearance. I advised him not to solely on lingenfelters answers that it would clear if installed straight up meaning dot to dot straight up and down and even.

Next on the list is a set of PRC 227 heads fully CNC ported from texas speed, an LSXR 102mm intake manifold ported w matching throttle body and MAF sensor. 1 7/8 stainless steel hedders probably kooks, hooker, or american racing. stainless steel X pipe and duals dumped at the rear axle.

Todays install included the cam and valve springs,comp 7.4 pushrods, b&m ripper shifter, tick performance master cylinder and updated gm slave cylinder. complete fluid change front to back.

NOTE 2: Found out my TA has the 241 Heads. Manufacture date is 04/2000. Those heads were more comonly found on 01 and 02 models
GT1 cam installed (229/242/114)(.631/.631) These specs are for the GT1-1 not the GT1. The GT1 cam specs are 218/229 561/561 113. BTW, those are some impressive gains!

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter GT1 Cam Update... Useful tip...