Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock on Bottom End

Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock on Bottom End

Hey so recently I have been noticing some type of knocking/tick coming from the bottom end. I got it up in the air yesterday at work & confirmed the knocking with two of the techs. They recommended a couple of things but they are Subaru techs so I figure I'd get an opinion from you guys too.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cut your oil filter open. If you see little gold flakes, then you have spun a bearing. It could be a rod knock too. Either way, bottom end knock=not a good thing.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Yeahh I mean I still have oil pressure for the time being. I was going to probably put a magnet on the bottom of my oil pan hopefully getting some metal flakes (hopefully not but if it is the problem hopefully it will help). If it was a rod knock what would be needed to be replaced? If it's big would I be better off to buy a new engine from GM? I can get a good deal on them.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DNTBJELOUS
Yeahh I mean I still have oil pressure for the time being. I was going to probably put a magnet on the bottom of my oil pan hopefully getting some metal flakes (hopefully not but if it is the problem hopefully it will help). If it was a rod knock what would be needed to be replaced? If it's big would I be better off to buy a new engine from GM? I can get a good deal on them.
You really should be able to get your answer if it's a spun bearing by just cutting the oil filter open. If it's rod knock or a spun bearing, it will take some work to get it fixed. I guess it's up to you if you want to put the money/work into a rebuild, or if you just want to buy a new motor. Just make sure that's what it is before you make any decisions.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KevinR
You really should be able to get your answer if it's a spun bearing by just cutting the oil filter open. If it's rod knock or a spun bearing, it will take some work to get it fixed. I guess it's up to you if you want to put the money/work into a rebuild, or if you just want to buy a new motor. Just make sure that's what it is before you make any decisions.
In your opinion if it's just a spun bearing is it something to really put a ton of worry into?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

...yes, yes it is. A spun rod bearing can destroy your crankshaft journal. May have already. My advice.

Pray.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Knock on Bottom End