Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about a reman. crankshaft I got from napa.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about a reman. crankshaft I got from napa.

I just had everything cleaned and machined on a 5.3 I'm putting together and I just put the top half of the main bearings in and set my crank in and I spun it and a small section of the reluctor wheel touches and rides against the back of the block and you can tell its not completely straight. Is this going to be a big problem or is this just the way some of these wheels are? It's doesnt hit hard or bind up at all but you can hear it rubbing.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say...problem! The wheel has a runout spec (not sure what it is, maybe 0.020"?) if it wobbles enough to rub, the crank sensor will pick up random signals instead of a steady stream.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I'd say...problem! The wheel has a runout spec (not sure what it is, maybe 0.020"?) if it wobbles enough to rub, the crank sensor will pick up random signals instead of a steady stream.
Yeah def a big problem. Do NOT use that crank! It will NOT work.
Those "teeth" you see on the reluctor pass by the sensing part of the crank sensor (which is just a proximity sensor) and everytime a tooth passes by the crank sensor generates a pulse which tells the PCM where the engine is at in rotation. Wobbly reluctor will cause the teeth to be far enough out of the window of the sensor head of the crankshaft sensor to cause missed pulses.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks you guys. Napa delivered a new one to me today and took the bad one back.

Quick Reply: Quick question about a reman. crankshaft I got from napa.